Saturday, September 11, 2010

CALLING ALL MOTHER'S OUT THERE!!!!

Or anyone else good at giving advice!

As you all know, I am a piano teacher. During the summer while my kids are out of school I teach a lot in the mornings and so we get up and get going pretty early.

But now it is the Fall. And everyone is back in school. Which means almost every day, Monday - Friday, I don't teach until 3:00 in the afternoon. 

So what can Abrielle and I do together to fill the time?

We have watched tons of "shows," read books, played with toys...

Are there FREE (or very inexpensive) and relatively EASY things to do in this valley that I am missing out on?

Or fun activities to do at home?

Now... here is the problem. Going on walks or going to the park are hard because I get nervous just going with Abrielle. If I had someone to go with that would be better but I hesitate going by myself.

And as most all mothers would agree, it is hard to find the motivation to do something when you know that it is going to be a huge production. 

So if anyone has suggestions out there I would REALLY appreciate it!

Love, Shayla

8 comments:

Jenna said...

Look for a mom's group, they have them out here and they meet together for free or cheap almost every week. Hope you find something!

Anonymous said...

Although we don't live in the same place.... I have a couple of suggestions.... Our library has a story time every week that Breena really likes. It's only a half hour and there are songs and lots of other toddlers to watch. Or, if you don't have something like that at the library, I think all libraries have kids areas where there might be puzzles, or at least age appropriate books that are new and different. We try to do that once a week, and it helps pass some time. And I try to check out a couple of books for her every time we go so we have some different books to read at home.

Or, do you have any friends or ward members or anything that have toddlers? Our ward (and stake) is really young and we have a weekly playgroup that consists of women from 3 wards. It's pretty good sized, too.

Ummm... other than that I'd say art projects, or baking together, play dough, sidewalk chalk, coloring, finger painting (although I have not attempted that one yet), going on walks and to the park. Oh, and malls have those play areas that are nice for hot and cold weather. And you can always look online for more ideas in your area. Whew!

Haylee said...

i recently tried finger painting with tristan. he loved it...you have to be brave and prepared for mess...ive also thought about making peanut butter playdough..my mom made it for me as a kid! Its the best cause you can eat it and its really good! but i also dont want him to confuse it with regu;ar playdough..good luck!

Anonymous said...

http://www.utahkidsclub.com/

FREE Magic Shows
FREE Pupet Shows
FREE Movies in the Park
FREE Carnivals
FREE Days at Hogle Zoo, Red Butte Garden, Tracy Aviary and MORE
(We'll keep you posted weekly)

Anonymous said...

Ok I don't live near you either, but I was kinda like you. I felt bad that me and Lydia were cooped up all day and I didn't wanna go to the park without Brigham and it was such a big job! I would suggest starting a playgroup with people in your ward, and just rotated houses each week, or just try going to the park. It sucks the first time and I was so paranoid cuz Lydia was scared of the slides, but each time we went, the better she got and the less paranoid I became. Now even with a 6 month old baby, I don't get nervous, I actually enjoy seeing her play and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Although I don't have children...I LOVE to play with them and I did work at a daycare for a while and had a schedule and curriculum and things.

One of the things that was quite common at our trainings was to take something that you know will make a mess (that you haven't wanted to do for that reason) outside. It is supposed to enrich them in a different way just because of it being in a different environment they are not used to doing that activity in.

The other thing that they really liked was doing art projects with things that they find...like leaves in the fall or like taking cotton balls and stretching them and gluing them on a page. Things with different textures.

Or when it snows take a bucket and put some snow in it and bring it inside in the kitchen (just on the kitchen floor) put some towels down and then play with the snow in the bucket with little shovels and toys and things they wouldn't normally take outside or play with in the snow...we used anything. Some of them used cars and trucks or little plastic people. We also used sand toys and things. It is just fun for them to be able to play in something in the cold but inside where it is warm.

I hope that gave you some ideas! :)

Haylee said...

i remembered one other thing.... print out some pictures of things you can find in your house, yard, or park even. Then take a bag and the pictures and go on a "treasure hunt."

Amy said...

We go to the library at least weekly. I can't remember where you're living now, but we'd love to go to the park with you sometime...we have several nice parks in this area. Also, my friend came up with this fun, easy craft: put some milk in a bowl, add food coloring, and paint marshmallows...and then of course, you can eat them, too, unless you don't want Abrielle on a sugar high! :-) Anyway, email me if you're interested in getting together.