Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Happenings

Things have been full of fun and adventure lately at our house! We got back last weekend from our annual trip to Midway. My grandparents rent a big house by Jordanelle Reservoir and we stay for the week. We eat fantastically, we play hard and we have a grand old time! We spent a lot of time on the "beach" and playing with jet skis and the boat. My favorite parts of the trip, by far, were coaxing my sweetheart out on the jet ski with me and swimming together to the "island." Jakee actually had a fun time on the jet ski this year and was laughing and yelling with me. The swim to the island took 1 1/2 hours round trip but it was great to be out there with my very best friend. We are burned, bruised and sore but wouldn't change any of it! Thank you so much for the fantastic week Grandma and Grandpa. (Sorry for the lack of pictures.... I am really bad about taking pictures!)

My six week appointment was yesterday. I can hardly believe that it has been that long. I have one tiny spot that hasn't quite healed yet. I was actually really relieved to hear that because I have been a bit sore and didn't want to get to the doctor's office and have him say, "Well I don't know why you are having any pain." But it isn't anything that he is concerned about and should be healed quickly.

Jake finished up the Summer semester with flying colors. He got an A by a long shot and the teacher was very pleased with his work. The new semester starts on the 24th so we are trying to enjoy the little "break" we have before he starts up again. He will be taking Political Science, Applied Business Calculus, Elementary Physics and Introduction to Philosophy. I am actually really excited for him to take the philosophy class because lots of previous students have said that the professor is the best professor they have ever had.

My laptop harddrive is slowly giving up the ghost so we decided to get a new one. It should be here in a few days and I am excited to have my laptop back to proper working order again.

Nathan and Abrielle continue to grow up despite my protests. We will be taking family pictures soon so I will post some updated pictures next week.

I moved all of my piano stuff to my house yesterday in preparation for the first of September. It was a very bittersweet thing. I have loved teaching at my Grandparent's home and will miss seeing them almost every day desperately. But I am also excited to teach out of my own home and be here in my "natural environment" with my kids.

My brother Jeremy got his mission call! He will be going to the Helsinki Finland mission and speaking Finnish. It is said that the only people that can speak Finnish are Finnish babies and LDS missionaries. I am very grateful that the Spirit will aid him in this daunting task. He reports to the MTC on December 21st. I am already starting to dread him leaving but I am proud of him and know he will be a fantastic missionary. If you know Jeremy and want to follow his mission you can do so at http://elderjeremytroff.blogspot.com.

Overall we are doing well and just plugging along. Like everyone we have our ups and downs but we are grateful for our blessings and the love of our Father in Heaven.

Love, Shayla

1 comment:

Bri Jordan said...

Who is the professor for Jake's philosphy class? I think I will end up taking that class soon!