Thursday, August 18, 2011

Learning to Run with Exercise Induced Asthma

I have had exercise and allergy induced asthma since I contracted a bad case of pneumonia in the 5th grade. It is something that I have allowed to hold me back in many ways since then. Most of it is probably mental - the belief that, because of my asthma, I "can't." I am ready for that to change.

My Motivation:

I used to be really athletic when I was a kid. I was the girl with the long blond hair who would be out playing basketball and soccer with the boys. That all changed when I contracted asthma. Now I am married to an amazing man who loves to do athletic things - and I can't keep up. I started noticing after my first baby that I felt tired so much of the time - I believe that that can change. But most of all, I am continually striving to be my very best self. I have been given a great gift - a body - and I want to take care of it.

After doing some reading from various programs around the Internet I feel like I know how to get started: gradually but consistently.

My plan for Week 1:

Start by doing a brisk walk every other day for just 15 minutes. I know that I can do that. On the other days (minus Sunday) I will be doing my postnatal progression DVD segment #1 to help my muscles start firing properly again. Since I just had a baby 6 weeks ago I do not want to push my body too hard while it is still healing.

I will hopefully continue to update my progress here as I work towards my ultimate goal: running in a marathon. Right now that goal seems extremely far away and very daunting. I don't think I could run to the bottom of my street and back right now. But I am going to work hard and do my best. The only one holding me back is myself.

Love, Shayla

3 comments:

Bri Jordan said...

That is my eventual goal, too! :)

Chelsee said...

Good luck Shayla! I have exercise induced asthma (just when I do things outside) and it really is a pain to figure those kind of things out. But I think once you work at it, your body will start to adjust accordingly. Hopefully things work out for you!

Bethany said...

Good luck! I keep wanting to do one in the back of my mind, but never have the motivation to start. Maybe your posts about your progress will inspire me finally!