MONDAY
I have been really impressed with Erin O'Brien's DVD. The prenatal workout was more intense than my body could find motivation to do this last time around but someday when I am pregnant again I will be more dedicated. The workout was really well rounded and structured.
The Postnatal Rescue portion of the DVD has been exactly what I have needed: workouts that start VERY simple and basic and then build from there. Even after you get home from the hospital Erin has a bonus section of breathing exercises that you can do while your body is in intense healing mode and not quite ready for exercising. Once you have your 6-week appointment and get the "all clear" from your doctor you start with progression #1. It is only 15 minutes of simple stretches and exercises designed to get your muscles firing properly again. It helped me to become aware of which muscles were firing and to be more in tune with my body. Once you feel prepared you can move on to progression #2 (which is where I am at right now). The thing I love the very most about these progressions is that it is the SAME routine. Erin doesn't throw an entirely new workout pattern at you: it is the same pattern with just a few modifications to increase the difficulty. I was so relieved when I started this progression to know that I had already laid my foundation. It helped me to feel a lot more confident in my ability to complete the second progression. And again, still just 15 minutes. I plan to stay on progression two for at least this week and depending upon how I am feeling next week I may venture to progression three.
TUESDAY
After reading up on the Internet to help me get started with my goal I came across this program called "Couch to 5K." (You can find it at this website here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) What really caught my attention about this particular program was what it said on the front page:
"Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves."
"You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months."
Doesn't that sound like so many of us? I know that I have certainly felt like "why would anyone possibly want to do this to themselves" in the past. And what is even better is that they have a program that is designed for the treadmill. I don't have a dog and with my husband having a full-time job and also being a full-time student he just doesn't have time to go walking/running with me during the week. (He bikes 15 miles to work, twice a week, in the morning time.) So, for safety's sake, I still get my workout in on the treadmill. The walk/run is only 30 minutes long and I should be able to easily fit it in. Hopefully workout 1 isn't too hard on my lungs... I feel like I have built up my lung strength enough to begin this program but I will have my inhaler on hand, just in case.
WEDNESDAY
Do you remember that I mentioned I was interested in starting yoga? Erin O'Brien incorporates some yoga moves into her workouts and I have really enjoyed them. I tried to find a yoga DVD that she had put together but apparently she hasn't done one. So I went on the hunt. I looked at a lot of reviews and I found that the consensus generally seemed to be that the "yoga for beginners" DVDs were, in reality, "yoga for those that already know the gist of yoga and have the flexibility." That is CERTAINLY not me and I got pretty discouraged until I found this DVD:
Every review that I read said that this is the DVD for TRUE yoga beginners. Notice how it even says in the bottom right-hand corner of the front cover "No yoga experience necessary." I also made sure that it had time options. You can do as few as 10 minutes and as much as 60. I think I will start with 15 minutes and go from there. I start on Wednesday and I will be sure to update on how I feel about the DVD and what I like/dislike.
THURSDAY & FRIDAY
Thursday brings us back to "Couch to 5K." Once again I will be doing my 30 minute walk/run. And Friday I will be doing my Postnatal Rescue DVD; progression 2 for this week.
SATURDAY
After TONS of research last Saturday about what was the best jogging stroller I could get for the best price (NOT $400 - $600), this is the one I decided on. As a jogging stroller it needs to have a locked wheel in the front so that the stroller doesn't shake when you start going fast, but if it doesn't have a swivel wheel in the front it is really inconvenient to use as an everyday stroller. This one does have a swivel wheel but it also has a locking mechanism to hold the front tire in place. Another feature that I love about this stroller is that each side is independently adjustable so I can lay my newborn down and cozy him up but my 2 year old can still sit up and look around. And, as a "bonus feature," the parent console on this stroller has speakers so that we can listen to music as we go. It is listed at $188 at Wal-mart but it is listed for the same price at Amazon.com and if you don't have to pay for shipping and sales tax it turns out to be about $20 - $30 cheaper. Thank you Amazon! Our new toy will arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to use it this Saturday!
IN THE MEANTIME
One of my friends recommended that I check out this book to help me get started. I just started reading it today and I already think it is one I will end up purchasing. I love the structure of the book as well as the language use - they talk just like we were sitting down one-on-one. So far one of my favorite parts of the book is as follows: "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.
Those two sentences changed my life-and the lives of thousands who have read them. They sum up for so many of us what is really in our hearts.
To prepare and finish is not a miracle. With patience and good humor, all of us can achieve our dreams.
The miracle is that we were able to reach down and find some part of ourselves that still believed our dreams were possible."
Many of my friends and family have been surprised about my new goals; not because I am overweight and lazy, but because my asthma is a real part of my life and has limited my physical activities for a long time. I am much more comfortable and confident playing the piano or reading a book than testing my limits by getting on the treadmill and running. But I do believe that it is a miracle that I was able to reach down and find some part of myself that still believes that I can do this. I am so grateful to have so many resources within my reach to keep the variety fresh and alive and to keep my interest and motivation peaked. I am feeling good and am excited for the new adventures that this week will bring.
Love, Shayla



2 comments:
Well, Ms. Shayla, it looks like you have a really diverse and fun program set out for you! Good luck! I'm getting back into exercise, too, and it's painful (in a good way, I think...). :)
Sounds so good Shayla! Keep updating about this, it is truly inspiring!
Post a Comment