Friday, August 19, 2011

In the Beginning


As I have started out taking my baby steps towards my ultimate goal I have found I am already facing a few challenges:

1) The excitement of starting something new is pushing me hard. I want to go outside and run a few miles right from the beginning; however, that excitement would quickly be dispelled when I collapsed at the end of my street so I am trying to quell the excitement bubbles inside of me and remember that going slow in the beginning will really pay off in the long run. HA HA HA. No pun intended.

2) Brisk walking (and I assuming jogging and running) are much more tedious and drawn out when you don't have good music to listen to. I made the mistake of doing my walk yesterday while listening to my generic playlist. Have you ever tried to keep an energetic pace while listening to a slow love song? Yeah... it doesn't work. Jot that one on the to do list: Create playlist for boosting energy...

3) Speaking of music... I really need something that can play it besides my bulky phone. Anyone have an old Ipod they no longer want?

4) I am already starting to worry about motivation. Call me crazy. I know that the general excitement I am battling (see point #1) will wear off. When it does I want to be ready to counteract it. My hubby is my motivation buddy right now but he is starting school on Wednesday and I am afraid we will both be sitting there one day and say, "Do you want to go running?" "No." "Me neither." What are some tricks that you have found to help keep you motivated?

5) I was very pleased that my asthma gave me NO problems during my brisk walk yesterday. I am crossing my fingers that as I gradually increase speed and length of time that it will continue to stay under control.

I could probably add more of these as things are running through my mind like crazy but I'll just leave it at that. I get to do my postnatal progression #1 today and I am actually looking forward to it. It implements a lot of different kinds of exercises like yoga and pilates and I think they are both things I could really get into. Does anyone know of a good "Yoga for Beginners" DVD?

Much love!

Shayla

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Remember how I mentioned in your last post that you inspired me to start running? Well I've gone 2 days now (yesterday and today). I only went about a mile each time as I ran errands to the store and the pharmacy, but it's a step. If I lived closer maybe you could be my running buddy....but for now keep posting, and maybe reading your blog will be my motivation ;)

Amy Beagley said...

Hey Shayla, I have an old music player. It's nothing fancy, but it is pretty easy to load music on - and works and is slim. Let me know on fb if you're interested.