Sunday, January 11, 2009

To All Loving and Concerned Parties

So there may be a question from many of you as to what exactly has been going on with me this week. I thought I would take the chance to clear the air and let you all know that, despite a very awful week, things are still moving along as they should be on our end.

I guess you can really pinpoint the "start" of this whole thing to last Friday night. Jake and I went to a Mexican restaurant (Salsa Leedos) because one of my wonderful piano students gave us a gift certificate for Christmas. We watched the U of U versus Alabama game and had a really great time. Around 3:30 Saturday morning I was up with my head over the toilet, emptying my poor stomach of all contents. Other than that, however, Saturday proceeded with only mild discomfort and no more heaving incidents.

Sunday started and I woke up feeling just fine. I had a good breakfast and was waiting for my turn to use the shower when I started feeling unusual. My left side was in pain and I was feeling pretty sick to my stomach. I decided that staying home from church and resting was the best plan of action, and despite some mild discomfort throughout the day, the day ended with me being free from pain and pretty happy and comfortable.

And then... 4:00 am Monday morning rolled around. I woke up in excruciating pain like I don't remember ever experiencing. I called my mom and asked what in the world I could do and we both agreed we weren't sure what painkillers were alright to take during pregnancy. The pain was localized in my lower back, left side, and I wasn't having any contractions - so we guessed a pinched nerve was the culprit. After calling the ER and the nurse and getting them to page my doctor (now it's about 5:00 am) he let me know that Extra Strength Tylenol was just fine.

This began a week of pain and misery like I have never known before. The pain would come in waves as the nerve pinched and relaxed again. I spent most of Monday in the shower with the warm/hot water hitting my side to help the muscles relax or with my head over the toilet again releasing any bit of anything I forced down my stomach. By the end of Monday I had thrown up 5 times, burst into tears several times, and had moved and adjusted to every position I could possibly think of to attempt to get comfortable - nothing helped.

The misery continued into the night as I slept in mere 15 minute intervals. I could get 15 minutes of relief from a 30 minute shower and cycled in that manner all night long. My wonderful husband (who had already taken Monday off of work to stay with me) decided that he needed to be with me throughout Tuesday as well - for which I was very grateful. He waited on me hand and foot, desperately trying to do anything he could to increase my comfort level or at least to decrease my anxiety levels. (AKA: stroking my back and telling me it was going to be okay as I sobbed.)

Our FANTASTIC friend Cassandra Adams texted me early Tuesday morning and said that if we could get to Lifetime Fitness where she works that she would work on my back for free. (She is a massage therapist.) I think I probably cried out of my sheer appreciation at her generosity. As soon as I laid on the massage table my nerve pinched again and I though I was going to throw up or pass out, but Cassy quickly worked out the muscles and I had 45 - 60 minutes of sheer heaven.

When we left Lifetime I thought that, despite being sore, the pain would subside and I could get back to my normal life. We headed to my parent's house and for a few hours I felt a lot better... and then the pain set in again. I spent Tuesday night much like I did Monday night, and was definitely looking forward to seeing my doctor on Wednesday.

My wonderful mother picked me up for my doctor's appointment and drove me to the Alta View Hospital. The car ride and the wait to see the doctor were pretty excruciating, but I finally got to let him know what was going on and he prescribed two different medications for me: Lortab for the pain and something for the nausea that was keeping me from eating. I didn't know that you could take Lortab when you're pregnant, but it came directly from my doctor so I am not going to complain! I have dropped in weight (not surprising), but the baby is still measuring exactly as she should be with a heartbeat of 151. The nurse was very relieved to see that all was well - not more so than this little babies mother though!

After the doctor my mom took me to get my prescriptions filled. I got down a glass of grape juice and 1/2 a yogurt and then had to dive into the bathtub. The pain was so bad that even the Lortab only dulled it. I was running a fever just above 100 degrees and was so exhausted that I have literally been a walking zombie.

It is now Sunday and the pain is getting better each day to the point that the Lortab is taking the pain away (as long as it is in effect), not just dulling it. Between doses I can usually find most of the relief I need by sitting with my trusty heating pad. We think that my body contracted some kind of virus that stored in that area of my back. As the virus heals, my back is also healing. I am still not sleeping completely through the night, but I only had to get in the shower once last night and I slept for 4 1/2 hours straight (which is a HUGE accomplishment.) I am eating a bit more (I have had a yogurt and a bowl of chicken noodle soup today) and functioning a little bit more on a normal level.

It has been a very hard week - physically but emotionally and mentally as well. I want to thank all of you who have kept me in your prayers as I know I have truly been carried through this week on the arms of many angels. The battle is not over yet, but I hope that at this point we are at least winning the battle. There have been many times I wanted to give up and give in and felt the strength of the Spirit carry me through again. I know that my Father in Heaven has kept me and my little baby in his special care this week and although he didn't weather the storm, he helped strengthen us to be able to make it through the storm thus far.

I sincerely hope that this week has held more lively and happy things in store for you and those you love. Thank you again for your words of comfort and concern. I will keep you updated as we continue to push through this trial and hopefully in another week or less it will be gone completely.

Love from the Bentley Family

1 comment:

Amy Beagley said...

Oh Shayla! I am so sorry that you have had such a hard time! I didn't even know anything was going on! I was thinking about you last night and wondering why I hadn't seen any updates in a while! I hope everything is okay with you or at least is going to be okay!
Let me know if I can do anything for you. I will private message you my phone number on facebook. Seriously, I am home all day so if you need something let me know and I can run up there.