Friday, January 16, 2009

Another Look into our Lives

I am happy to report that Sunday was the last day that I had to take the Lortab. The pain subsided enough by Sunday evening that I have been able to progress throughout the week without the heavy medication.

I've been trying hard to get back to a normal schedule, get as many hours in as possible at West Jordan High before I'm not working there anymore, while still taking it easy and being very careful about my fragile health. While many may argue that coming off of last week to complete a 44 1/2 hour work week this week does not qualify as taking it easy and being careful, I have taken every opportunity allotted to me to do something I enjoy, relax, and not let myself stress. Today is my last day at West Jordan until next Thursday because of school holidays and a doctors appointment, and I just keep reminding myself about that fact to pull me through. As long as I am extremely careful about what I eat, take the time to listen to the signals my body is sending me, and get plenty of sleep, I have been able to lead a normal life this week and feel relatively normal doing so.

Our kitchen is being remodeled and should be finished today. Our landlady loves us and really works hard to make our large apartment as comfortable as possible. She decided to take out a reverse mortgage on her home that would allow her the funds to improve our living situation. The biggest changes: double wide sink, dishwasher, a lot more counter space, gas fireplace, and a bathtub. She is trying really hard to get everything finished before Abby comes so that the place will be as good as it can be for raising a baby. We labeled the kitchen as our #1 priority. (Washing dishes by hand may build character, but it definitely gets tedious after 7 1/2 months.) Plus, it makes me feel a lot better to know that my dishes are getting disinfected, not just washed, especially when we will start having baby bottles and binkies to wash.

I wish I could say that I have pictures to post of what our kitchen looked like before the renovations were made. Does it count that I thought about taking pictures about 100 times, but never remembered until I wasn't home? I will post pictures of the final product when everything is finished.

Jake started another semester at SLCC this week - he is still planning on going into Business Management. We are working right now so that he can get an Associate's degree in Business Management and a certificate in Accounting. This semester he is taking Professionalism in Business (Marketing 1960), Distribution Systems (Management 1020), and Financial Accounting 1 (Accounting 1110). His schedule covers Tuesday - Thursday evenings, leaving him home with me on Mondays and Fridays. (HOORAY!) He thinks he will enjoy each of the classes and that they won't be too difficult as long as he stays on top of the homework.

Jake also switched this week to a new department at Discover Card. He was in the IVR department and was offered the opportunity to go to the Retention department. The change has been a wonderful blessing so far. He is so much happier in this new department and he loves his whole team - coaches and managers included. His work schedule picked up quite a bit (35 hours to 41 this week) but he is happy there and the increase hasn't been so hard. It makes me so happy to see him enjoying his job again.

As you can tell, we have been extremely blessed. Our Father in Heaven has truly smiled upon us and carried us through some pretty rough trials. We are so grateful for the love we feel from the Spirit and from so many loving family members and friends. We have received an outpouring of love and support like we could never have imagined. We cannot send enough thanks to those of you who have kept us in your hearts and in your prayers. You are truly wonderful!

Love from the Bentley Family

No comments: