Sunday, August 25th, 2013
My dearest brother,
This week has felt like a very long one. I think that that
is primarily because we have been working hard on our basement and… it is slow
going. It seems like it will never be finished although I know that we are making
progress. I won’t send you pictures of the progress yet because I want to wait
until we have more finished. We have new carpet scheduled to be installed this
Saturday so all of the construction parts of this project need to be finished
by then. We were also able to get a new twin mattress for Nathan for $69. He
will eventually be going to the basement to live in the room next to Abrielle. We
have gutted our basement of most of the furniture… luckily Jake’s brother
Steven and his friend Nick were able to help us with transportation of those
large articles of furniture to DI.
What still needs to be finished? Oh boy… we need to finish
patching, mudding, sanding, and painting the walls. We need to install the
baseboards, pretty up our new window, get the carpet installed, put in the TV
mount, have Grandpa install the shelves, buy containers for the shelves, move
our furniture back in, and rearrange the “extra” bedroom so that it is ready to
receive Nathan. I am hoping that things will go fairly quickly from here on
out. Maybe by… mid-September it will be finished? I guess we’ll see.
I got to go Savers shopping with mom and Grandma Traci this
past Monday. I scored a ton of good deals and walked away with a huge sack of
clothes for the kids for an average of $1.57/item. Abrielle has been having a
blast wearing all of her new clothes – but particularly her new shirt that has
a horse on it. Nathan emptied the store shelves of every truck and car he could
find and stuffed it in a basket. Grandma was gracious enough to buy him one to
take home but it was tough to convince him he couldn’t just live at Savers.
On Tuesday we spent the afternoon at the Dinosaur museum
with Alyssa and her girls. I had no idea how big it is! We spent hours there
and easily could have spent more time if the kids weren’t tired and
overstimulated by then. We got a lot of great pictures of the day and created
some great memories.
School started back up on Wednesday. On Tuesday night Jake
gave me a blessing of comfort and ease. He said he imagined a little boat
floating easily over every wave that came at it. I honestly felt a bit of
trepidation at this imagery because I was worried about this semester being too easy. I deal much better with
challenges that stretch my mind than I do with boredom.
Attending class on Wednesday did nothing to quell my fears.
The class was basically a review of everything I have already learned – even all
of the assignments were ones I had already completed in other classes!
Fortunately, I knew the instructor from last semester and so I was able to
comfortably talk to her after class about my concerns. She assured me that she
would talk to Soni, the head of the department and one of my friends, and get
back to me.
Thursday morning was much more comforting as I attending my
early Pilates class. I loved the class and was very happy with the structure of
the teaching. I think that it will be a great class and I am really looking
forward to it.
Friday was a hard morning for me and I struggled badly to
keep my emotions under control. I think I just really woke up on the wrong side
of the bed. I said a lengthy prayer in the car after dropping Abrielle at
preschool and turned my phone to “Homeward Bound” by the Mormon Tabernacle
Choir. That really helped me to feel the Spirit again and I walked into class
feeling much more calm and ready for the day. When my instructor walked in she
immediately told me that Soni wanted to speak with me. I looked at her
confusedly and said, “Right now?” She assured me that that was correct and I
got up and walked out of class to visit Soni in her office. Well, you remember
how I said this past summer how important it was to me to make a good
impression on my instructors? Yeah… this is a big reason why. Because when you
need some help or a favor the instructors are much more inclined to make your
life a happy place if you have shown them you are a dedicated and a hard
worker. Soni took care of me perfectly and I will be working as an independent
study under her during the time I would be attending my “review” class. I was
very grateful for the tender mercy that I received and felt that this scripture
captured my feelings very appropriately:
Psalm 31:19: "Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou
hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that
trust in thee before the sons of men!"
Other than that… we have been working on the house. I know,
not very exciting, but I am grateful for the opportunity to do this and, even
though it has been a lot of hard work, we have had many helping hands that have
helped to ease our burdens. Hopefully by the time I write to you next week
things will be mostly completed and in much more organized working order.
I love you, dear brother. I hope that you are doing well and
taking care. Remember how much you are loved!
Love, Shayla
Nathan's version of shopping
The haul - you can't even see everything! Serious SCORE!
Cheeser modeling her cute new outfit
Handsome boy - growing up too fast
The faces of an Abrielle meltdown... her cheese broke on one end... yeah....
Happy faces to wake up to! Love these babies!
Big trucks working in our neighborhood. Nathan was in HEAVEN!
Date #1 of the 20 date challenge (see here) - Asian dinner with great friends. I just wish we had gotten them in the picture...
Mudding and sanding age you very quickly! Here is the proof!
Our day at the dinosaur museum












No comments:
Post a Comment