August 11th, 2013
My Dearest Brother,
I can hardly believe it because it still seems so surreal to
me but summer semester 2013 is officially over. We went into it saying, “It is
only 8 1/2 weeks.” Little did we know just how busy and intense those 8 1/2 weeks
would be.
I spent Monday – Wednesday of this week studying very hard
and finishing up everything that needed to be done for school. I wrote papers,
combed through my notes over and over, gave a presentation, and made sure
everything was squared away. I took my Kinesiology final on Tuesday and came
away from it feeling that my instructor had been very generous. All of our
origins and insertions only required the name of the muscle and there were many
questions on the final that were repeats from previous tests. I left the test
feeling like there was nothing that I could have possibly done to be better
prepared. Jake and the kids were waiting for me outside (I am not one to take a
long time on a test) and we went to one of our new favorite Mexican
restaurants, Agave, to celebrate the end.
Waiting for the test results was definitely agonizing. I am
also not one to believe with full confidence that I performed well on a test. I
second guess myself and wonder if there were things that I overlooked or
misunderstood. Results came in on Thursday morning. Our instructor had taken
the time to review every scantron and make sure that there were no errors on
the tests. He also calculated everyone’s final grade so we all knew immediately
where we stood with the results of our final. Drumroll please….. I scored a
97.3% on the final exam by only missing 2 questions – the highest score in the
class. I finished the whole class with a 97.2% in the class – 1 out of 4 people
in the class to obtain an A. I was so happy that so much hard work and
dedication had paid off. I really applied myself to this class and to the
material and I really felt triumphant with my results. Isn’t it such a satisfying
feeling to know that you worked and you pushed and were able to be successful?
I know that it doesn’t always work out that way but I am very grateful to the
Lord for blessing me with the wisdom to know what and how to study and for
being with me throughout this class to calm my nerves and to enlighten my mind
so that I had a fullness of the knowledge I had worked so hard to obtain. I
truly know that He guided my path.
I am still waiting for 2 of my grades to come through. I was
hoping that they would be posted by now. I have done well in every assignment
for both classes and I don’t anticipate “bombing” the final assignments/tests
that we had to complete. Grades are due for release by the 15th so
hopefully they will be in by then, at least.
Since school ended my brain has been in serious recovery
mode. It has been hard to read for fun or do any “meaningful/purposeful” task.
I felt so completely drained and exhausted on Thursday. I told Jake that I didn’t
realize just how much the semester had taken out of me until it was over. I
felt like I had been totally leeched and, luckily, I was able to have several
days to take it easy, enjoy myself, and recover.
On Friday we were planning to go swimming with Alyssa and
her girls. We put the babies down for a nap and were going to go once they got
up; however, a few hours later Nathan was still sleeping and some very dark
clouds had rolled in. The wind picked up and there was some light rain. We
figured that swimming wasn’t likely to be on the agenda for the day. Instead we
put together a fantastic, All-American barbecue. Mom and Kayden are in Maryland
this week for another tournament so Dad and Brynndi came over to join us. Matt
and Alyssa recently got a smoker from Matt’s parents and they have been having
great fun making beef jerky and smoking all kinds of meats. Alyssa threw some
pork and chicken into the smoker and I spent a while wrapping corn and putting
it in the crockpot to cook. Alyssa made homemade fries and we cut up a giant
watermelon. SOOO much food and SOOO much deliciousness! We have never tried to
cook corn in the crockpot before and so I was a little skeptical about how it
would turn out but it was seriously the best corn on the cob I have ever had. I
think we all ate much more than we should have and we rolled our way out of
there later in the evening.
Jake’s 10 year high school reunion was on Saturday night. It
was held by the Usana amphitheater at the West Ridge Golf Course. The venue was
really pretty and there were several people/friends at the reunion that Jake
knew. The food was okay but Jake had a great time visiting and that is what
matters the most.
Abrielle starts her 2nd year of preschool
tomorrow. I think she will be very thrilled to go back. She loves preschool so
very much. We have decided to send her to Kindergarten next year. We would like
to send her to Navigator Pointe, Entheos, or Hawthorne Academy – all charter
schools. Unfortunately, they are all admission based on a lottery system so
there is no guarantee that you will be able to get in. We will apply and pray
and hope for what is best for Abrielle.
Nathan is doing very well; growing, laughing, and loving
life. He is completely obsessed with the temple right now. He goes around
singing, “I love to see the temple” and telling other people to sing it too. He
calls every church we pass a temple and points out every picture of the temple
that we encounter. Jake took the opportunity yesterday while I was teaching to
bike them to the Oquirrh Mountain temple. Nathan was so happy to be there and
so sad to leave. He talked about it all day long. He is still in love with all
things cars and trucks and has several that he carries around constantly each
day.
We finally got a chance this past week to take him to
Wal-mart to spend his birthday money. We biked over there and he picked out a
truck to buy, paid for it himself, took Abrielle on a ride on the Pumba ride at
the front, and then treated Abrielle and Daddy to ice cream at Sub Zero. It was
a beautiful evening with our little family and my heart was very full with
happiness and love.
Fall semester starts on August 21st. I will be
taking 10 credit hours including Lifetime Wellness/Fitness, Pilates, Designing
Training Programs, and Exercise and Special Populations. I believe that the
next (and final) two semesters will be much easier than this previous semester.
Besides being longer in duration I believe they will also be lower in intensity
besides just being lower in total credit hours. We have reached the downhill!
I love you, dear brother. I hope that you are doing well and
that things in Finland are happy and prosperous. I can hardly believe that you
have just over 4 months remaining in your mission. Make them the absolute best
4 months yet!
All my love, always and forever,
Shayla
Luckily Pumba has a big nose so that both kids could ride at once. Abrielle was thrilled... Nathan wasn't so sure about the experience!
Beautiful kids sharing one of those perfect precious moments in life.
I decided to resurrect my bangs.
Abrielle and I went to see Brynndi's theater performance. She decided to take the opportunity to try on Uncle Zac's hat.




No comments:
Post a Comment