My Dearest Brother,
I hope that you are doing well and that your back is feeling
better now. Did any of the exercises I sent you help you out? I am always happy
to send you some more ideas if you need them. I am excited to see your 6 pack
progress soon!
Things have been a bit unusual around our house this week.
Well, unusual and then not so unusual. Nathan is sick again. What a surprise,
right? He hasn’t had much of an appetite for several days and then he woke up
yesterday with gooby, swollen red eyes. We took him to the doctor and they gave
him some special eye drops – bacterial conjunctivitis. That is just a fancy way
of saying that he has pink eye. I don’t know where he got pink eye but this kid
seems to pick up absolutely anything that is on the wind somehow. His eyes look
much better after just one day though and I am optimistic that he will be
feeling better in no time.
He is a major giddinsky. (sp? I have never tried to spell
that out before!) He goes from one thing to the next to the next pulling things
apart and examining them. He is very curious and loves tools. He has to be
involved in everything and you can guarantee that he will attempt to put away
the dishes in the dishwasher (clean or dirty) wherever we go.
Abrielle is doing well. It is still hard for me to believe
that she is four years old. She has recently discovered that she likes to watchAladdin.
She still says some pretty funny things. For example, yesterday when we were at
the doctor she was looking at the fish in the aquarium and talking to them. She
would say things like, “Yellow fish go get the black fish! I need to talk to
him!” I love how her little mind works and it is great to rediscover the world
through the eyes of a child and notice things that I continually take for
granted.
Jake had to spend a good deal of time this week going
through the WGU online orientation. Technically his 6 month term started on the
1st of the month but he has until the 15th as a
new student to get signed up for his classes. Most likely what we will need to
do is spend 1 – 1 ½ hours each night working on homework. It doesn’t bother me
so much when I have homework to do as well so it is a good thing that we are
both in school although it makes us both very busy. I hope that he will enjoy
his school work as much as I am enjoying mine.
Speaking of school…. there have been some pretty significant
developments with my school this week. On Wednesday I was feeling very anxious
and like I wasn’t doing everything that I should be in order to prepare myself
for my future career in fitness. This was really confusing to me because I feel
like I am doing quite a bit right now and I didn’t know what more I could
possibly be doing. The feeling persisted and so I prayed very hard that the
Lord would give me guidance and direction. I have been reading in the Book of
Mormon about the people of Nephi wandering through the wilderness and the
direction that they received through their faith by the power of the Liahona. I
felt like I was at the point where I was wandering lost in the wilderness. I got
down on my knees and told the Lord that I was willing to follow the direction
that he gave me on my personal Liahona.
The next day when I was at school I decided to talk a little
bit to the TA in my Healthy Body Image/Weight Management class. He mentioned
that he was in his last semester at SLCC and that he was graduating with an
associate’s degree in Health and Wellness. This surprised me because I know
that SLCC doesn’t offer a generic Health and Wellness degree so I pressed him
on it. He told me that he talked to an academic counselor who pieced the
program together for him. To top things off, our professor was gone on an
unexpected emergency that day so I had the time and availability to go to the
Student Center and talk with an academic counselor about this prospect.
Well, things didn’t turn out exactly the way that I imagined
they would. The counselor had absolutely no idea what I was talking about;
however, through a series of events that is too complicated and boring to go
into detail about I found out that I am only 4 classes away from earning my
Associates Degree in Chemistry. Those four classes plus one Biology class
(Human Anatomy) would put me perfectly in line to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in
Exercise Science. AND, if I take classes in the summer semesters which I kept
feeling like I should do, I won’t graduate any later than I was originally
planning on from SLCC.
I love those situations where it just is too coincidental to
be coincidental. I know that the Lord has opened the doors for me to pursue
this path and I feel confident moving forward knowing that I am doing the right
thing. It won’t be easy by any means and I have no idea how I am going to pass
Organic Chemistry 2 and Calculus 2 five years after I took the first segment of
each course but, once again, I know that the Lord will provide the way and if I
study very hard and do my part that he will make up for what I am lacking.
So… that is my plan! I will continue to do my Fitness
Technician AAS and will do my Chemistry AS at the same time. I will graduate
with both in 2014 and then I will be able to go on to a University to finish up
my Bachelor’s degree. The two programs that I am considering right now are the
Exercise & Sports Science BS at the University of Utah and the Exercise &
Wellness BS at BYU. If I were to pursue the degree at BYU it is very likely
that we would have to move – we would still be in the Salt Lake Valley but
closer to the Southern side instead of the Northern side. I don’t know if that
is what the Lord has in mind for us but I do know that he will continue to
guide our path. The good thing is that either path will open the door so that
if I want to pursue a Master’s degree then that option is open to me.
Pretty crazy, right? I am excited and nervous but mostly
just grateful that the Lord is aware of me, my desires, and the situation my
family and me. He has given us so much and blessed us so abundantly.
One last funny story before I go: yesterday at Step class I
really felt like I did a good job. The moves seem to be clicking now and I can
definitely tell that I am catching on. One of the nice ladies in the class told
me afterwards that she was really glad that I had stuck it out and that I was
doing a great job. She said, “You can tell that you are a dancer because you’ve
picked it up so quickly!” I graciously thanked her but I was busting up
laughing on the inside. It is just a good thing she wasn’t at the class last
week when I tripped over my own two feet and fell in front of the whole class!
I love you Jer and I hope that you are doing well. My friend
Zac tells me that the weather should be getting better there soon and that
things will start to thaw. I hope that that is the case. If not, though, I hope
that the light of the Lord will sustain you and that you know how much we love
you!
Love always, Shayla
Playing with the awesome wall puzzle, waiting for the doctor. Unfortunately this scene is all too familiar lately. Poor baby!
Grandma and Grandpa Bentley gave Abrielle a basketball for her birthday. Nathan died and went to heaven. He was sooo excited about it and immediately took it for himself.
Trying to conceal the fact that he had Abrielle's new ball.
"Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Abrielle! Happy birthday to you!"
+ Uncle Todd photo bomb
Blow out the candles!
Opening presents with Aunt Vickie
Part of the party - male representation!
What could it be?
Adorable hugs for Great-Grandma Traci
We're playing here mom!
What more could a little boy want to go to sleep?
QUESTION FOR MY DEAR READERS: What exciting things have happened in your life this week? Anything fun going on? Leave me a comment!
Loves...Shayla











No comments:
Post a Comment