Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Small Novella of a Week

March 24th, 2013

My Dearest Brother,

This was a pretty amazing week so prepare for a long letter… ;-)

Since I already typed this up once I am just copying and pasting this experience for you. This is from Monday, March 18th:

[SEE MY MONDAY POST TITLED "TENDER MERCIES"]

Pretty cool, huh? Since that experience there have been a few other things that have happened this week to make it an excellent week.

On Wednesday Jake took the day off of work so that we could take care of many projects that needed tending to around the house. With both of us in school and working there are a lot of things that go neglected around the house. We had shut the door to our extra bedroom and ignored the results of The Fly Infestation of 2013 in there, there was a hole in the ceiling of our family room where a broken light fixture had once been, we had a couch in our garage for several weeks, broken blinds in the family room (also a result of the fly infestation of 2013), etc. etc. The list really does go on, sadly enough. I was done with it all and I knew that I couldn’t change everything on my own.

Because Jake was home I got to attend a Multi-Step class at the gym that day. It was a really fun class and I left energized and ready to tackle the house. And tackle we did. We cleaned and cleaned and fixed and organized the whole day long. We made a trip to Wal-mart to purchase new blinds and curtains and light fixtures and everything. We rearranged the basement to fit the new couch we were given. It took us from about 10:00 am to 9:30 pm. We ended the day sore and exhausted but so pleased with the results of our hard work. The house has a completely different feeling about it now. It feels more peaceful to be here and we are happy and content with it. It is amazing what a difference hard work can make!

We decided to celebrate Easter today because next Saturday is Jake’s birthday and next Sunday is our Fast Sunday because of General Conference and Stake Conference the week afterwards. We set up the kids’ buckets last night and I have attached a picture of them for you. The huge fluffy animals were only $10.99 each! The only thing that isn’t included in the picture is the pound of strawberries that I got for each of them. I set those out first thing in the morning and both kids have been munching away at them all day. We put little treats and crackers in eggs and hid them all over the living room for the kids to find them. They weren’t as interested in what was in the eggs as the fun in finding the eggs. Nathan especially would go around the room and every time he found an egg he would hold it up and yell, “I found!”

We took the opportunity before going out to their baskets to talk to the kids about the reason we celebrate Easter. We talked about Christ’s death and his resurrection and Abrielle was totally transfixed on the idea that Jesus Christ died to save her. She kept repeating over and over, “Jesus died  to save Abrielle? Oh yeah, it’s ‘cause He loves me.” It was really precious and really warmed my heart. I think that it left a good impression on her which is, ultimately, the most important part of the holiday.

We took Abrielle to a group Karate class yesterday to see how she liked it. We were impressed by the outline of the class and their focus on taking turns, fitness, discipline, self-control, and self-esteem.  I think she got pretty overwhelmed with the experience and retreated to me for a while. She doesn’t do well with overstimulation. However much we liked the class, the prices are unrealistically high. To give you an idea… it is more expensive than mom and dad paid for me to be a classically trained pianist every month. Yikes. There is no way that we could afford it. So we will continue to search for what is right for her. She absolutely loves preschool and I am glad that she has that.

Nathan continues to talk more and more. He has been especially clingy this week as he has been getting his molars in. I certainly don’t mind most of the time as I am the one that he wants to be with and I love to snuggle him and comfort him. The hardest times are when he is constantly holding on to my pants as I am trying to do things around the house. This becomes especially awkward if I am wearing pajama pants that insist on not staying up…. But I try to be understanding and have spent a good deal of time holding him.

Jake passed his Business Law exam on Saturday and earned 6 credits for the class in doing so. He will pick up with school a lot more this week and I don’t know if I already mentioned that he could be done with this program in only 1 year. It will almost certainly take longer than that but it would be nice if he were finishing up at WGU when I am finishing up at SLCC in Fall of 2014.

My alarm is set for 12:05 am so that I can get up and register for summer semester. I definitely have the butterflies about it… CALCULUS… but I know that this is the path that the Lord intended for me and for my family and I know that as I work hard that he will support me.

I have been on Spring Break this week and it has been a much needed break. I only have 6 weeks left of this semester. There is a lot to do in that time but I am going to attempt a different focus to help me get through it. I realized that I spend a lot of time thinking about why I am unhappy and dwelling on those points. Granted, I have some legitimate reasons now and then to be unhappy. The problem comes when I dwell on those things. I have decided to try and ask myself, “Why am I happy right now?” I believe that as I shift my focus to the reasons I have to be happy that I will be better able to manage my problems with anxiety.

This past week Kayden’s Grandmaster teacher, Alex Chernin, told mom and dad that Kayden needs to improve his stamina. Alex suggested getting involved in some kind of sports activity. Mom and dad have decided that he will be following a regime of regular exercise. You know what that means? WOO HOO!!! This girl has something that she can still teach her smarty-pants brother. On Thursday I took Kayden through a 25 minute Boot Camp-style workout. He was completely convinced that he was going to die by the end. I was proud of him for sticking with it and I made him some of my special homemade chocolate milk for a recovery drink. I also made him a gourmet pasta lunch that mom said was delicious. I will be working with him every Tuesday and Thursday while he is in town and I am over there while Abrielle is at preschool. The other days of the week he is supposed to get up at 6:30 am to work out on his own. You better watch out! He is going to be pretty tough by the time you get home!

We had the opportunity to go out with Mom and Dad for Jake’s birthday on Friday night. We went to Zac’s semi-final church basketball game first and they crushed the other team. The score was like 53 – 38. After congratulating Zac we went over to our favorite sushi place – Nagoya. We got lots of DELICIOUS rolls. I have decided that I am the kind of person that would probably handle sashimi just fine. (Sashimi = chunks of raw fish). I like the freshness of the rolls that have large pieces of raw fish on them and I don’t even need tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) to get them down easily and enjoy them. I also LOVE fresh ginger. That beautiful pink stuff that they serve on each plate? Yeah. I eat that stuff like CANDY every time we go. YUMMY!

Dad and Jake got dessert at Chili’s afterwards while mom and I sat and exchanged calendars for the summer. Her summer looks pretty bad through May but she isn’t nearly as busy overall this year as she was last year. For that, I am very grateful. It makes me sad when she is gone for so long. We had an absolute blast with mom and dad. We laughed a lot, had delicious food and even better conversation. I am so glad that we have a great relationship with them.

After dinner Jake and I went off to the Oquirrh Mountain temple for a cleaning assignment. There were over 40 volunteers there so we only had to work for a little over an hour before we got to head home. We still got home after midnight but we were grateful to be able to fulfill the assignment.

I told you that this letter would be long… there was a lot more that I could’ve said but I will leave it at that. We are off to the Dunford’s house to have dinner with the extended family to celebrate Jake and Bryce’s birthdays that are up and coming.

I love you so very much, dear brother. Know that you are in my thoughts and in my prayers always.

LOVE ETERNALLY, Shayla

Easter Baskets for the babies!
_______________________________

QUESTIONS FOR MY DEAR READERS: How and when are you celebrating Easter? Have you ever had sushi/sashimi? Are birthdays a big deal in your family? How do you celebrate?

Loves...Shayla

P.S. Sorry for the complete lack of pictures this week!

No comments: