My dearest brother,
We are sitting around waiting for Western Governor’s
University to call Jake for (what is supposed to be) his final interview. I
could/should be doing homework but I really don’t feel like it so instead I thought
I would get a start on my letter to you. I have a lot on my mind this week so
this promises to be a long letter.
Jake interviewed for a new job today. It is an accounting job at the Church Office Building. He has a recommendation from the head of Human Resources over there and he said he felt that the interview went very well. The guy that was interviewing him even showed him where he would work if he got the job. We will know within a few weeks if he got it or not. The biggest advantages for the new job would be that it is two pay grades higher than what he is getting paid now plus it would be more in line with his degree and where he wants to be in the church employee system. The biggest disadvantage would be that his hours would change to 8:15 – 5:00 pm meaning that things are going to get pretty tight for me getting to school on time; however, we will definitely make it work if this job is meant to be. I know that it is in the Lord’s hands now and that he will get the job if he is meant to. I just wish I knew what the outcome was going to be.
We have taken a hit financially because my piano has been
shaky as of late. My schedule is rigid and unyielding and losing a student
often means that I cannot fill their spot with another one. It seems like all
of the students I have lost lately have been in places where it is impossible
to fill their time slot. I know that the Lord has a plan in mind for us and I
am trying hard to remain faithful through trying times. I still enjoy teaching
piano and am very grateful for the extra income it provides us. I just wish it
were a little bit extra extra income lately. J
We have our Tanita assessment at school tomorrow and I am
trying very hard not to freak out about it. If you don’t know the Tanita is the
machine that weighs your body fat percentage and hydration and etc. etc. Last
time we did this assessment I was mildly dehydrated and my numbers were not
where I wanted them to be. I have worked really hard and made a lot of
sacrifices for fitness… I just want the numbers to reflect that, you know? I
know it probably sounds completely superficial and it is hard to explain. I
just want to feel like I have really made progress and that I can prove it. I
don’t want to fool myself into thinking that I am something that I am not
unless I really am that something.
Sunday, February 3rd, 2013
Well I am happy to say that my Tanita assessment went better
than I ever could have hoped. The first time we did it I came it at 27.3% body
fat. I was pretty disappointed about that but it was still 1% down from when we
did measurements in November so I decided to just take it and work from there;
however, I noticed that my teacher had inputed the body type as “standard” and
last time I did this assessment my instructor had put in body type “athletic.”
I asked my teacher if it made a big difference and she said that it did so I
asked her if I could do it one more time on the athletic setting. She asked me
how often I worked out and when I told her 6 days a week she agreed. Well when I
retested my weight was still exactly the same but my body fat % was down to
24%! WOOHOO!!! I cannot even tell you how happy that made me. First of all, it
is over 4% down from the last time we measured in mid-November and secondly,
the ACE fitness guidelines for body fat percentage lumps those that are “Fit” (for
women) from 21% - 24% body fat. I am so happy to finally be on the grid. I want
to go down from there and I think I could probably manage to get down to 22% by
the end of the semester if I keep doing what I am doing. I am just happy to be
on the path.
After that assessment we went to the fitness center to do
our sit and reach test. This is another test I have been pretty nervous about
because I am about as flexible as a fossilized tree. But I have been working
hard at meditation and stretching this week (at least 20 minutes a day) and
before the assessment our teacher (who I love dearly, by the way) showed us
some awesome hamstring stretches. I was able to get to a 12 on the assessment
which is further than I ever dared hope. The “gold standard” for the test is 15
which is the level of your toes on the box. I asked her if it was plausible
that I could get to 15 by the end of the semester and she said it definitely
is. So that is another one of my goals: 1) Get down to 22% body fat by May
2013. 2) Hit 15 on the sit and reach test by May 2013. 3) Pass the progression
assessments in my Evaluate and Assess Fitness class (Deep squat, active
straight leg raise, trunk rotation, in-line lunge and hurdle step). We did the
first three assessments last week and I failed miserably. I don’t want that to
happen again.
I mentioned briefly above that I have been focusing on meditation
and stretching this week. It has made a huge difference in my life Jer. If you
get a chance to do it I would strongly encourage it. I lay on my back
with my legs propped on the couch at a 90 degree angle. (You can also put your
feet on the floor and rest your knees gently against one another). I relax my
arms out to the side and prop my head up just slightly so that it is in a
neutral position. I listen to the Calm Meditation station on Pandora and focus
on deep breathing. From there, as I feel my body is ready, I stretch and do
various yoga poses. I did 50 minutes of meditation and stretching today and I
was able to spend time stretching every major muscle group until I felt so
completely relaxed and not tense at all. In just one week it has made a world
of difference in every aspect of my life. I feel more focused and controlled
and able to handle life better. I feel like my performance in the gym has
improved and emotionally I feel more at peace and able to handle things better.
Even if you only have 10 minutes a day I would definitely recommend it. There
are times I don’t stretch at all and just lay and relax and focus on deep
breathing. I try and erase my body and empty my mind of stress and worries. It
is so healing in many ways.
Anyway, that is me rambling on about all my nerdiness.
Glorious, right? The kids are doing well although they are still sick…
surprise, surprise. I am hoping we are at the end of it and we’ll have to see
what this week brings.
Our “Valentine’s Day” festivities were amazing. The
Phantom of the Opera was done incredibly well by BYU and it was a delight
to congratulate my friend Sam on his wonderful performance. After the show we
drove all the way from Provo to Salt Lake to go to Rodizio Grill for dinner. It
was AMAZING! (As usual) Do you know that 99% of their menu is gluten free?
HURRAY FOR ME! Even their heavenly cheese rolls are made with yucca flour. The
saddest part is that my favorite meat (the sweet and spicy chicken) is not
gluten free. But it is alright… I ate 18 chicken hearts to make up for it. Oh
yes I did!
I spent the day cooking today. Since Dad’s birthday is
tomorrow he (of course) requested Raspberry Ribbon Pie. Raspberries aren’t
really in season right now so I did Strawberry Ribbon pie and (miraculously)
they turned out beautifully! I had one that was almost completely perfect. I
was so happy with how it turned out. I know that dad likes the Raspberry ones
better but I think he really enjoyed it anyways. I also made a Yellow Squash
Lasagna for myself so that I could partake of dinner with the rest of the
family. Gotta love the gluten free necessity!
I love you very much Jeremy. I have been praying for you and
I hope that you are doing well. You are such a great friend and I am so happy
that you are also my brother. Keep your chin up and know that you are in the
right place and doing the right thing. Your big sister loves and admires you
dearly.
Love always and forever, Shayla
Valentines Date
After Phantom of the Opera
Nearly perfect pie crust
The finished product! Happy birthday Dad!
Nathan the super hottie
Abrielle trying to get warm in mommy's robe
QUESTION FOR MY DEAR READERS: Are you reading this blog? Leave me a comment letting me know! I love hearing from people!






3 comments:
Yep, I read it. It lets me know what's happening. Always good to keep up on your bestie's life.
Hi Shayla! I'm a regular reader. Even though we don't connect in "real life" very often, it's great to hear how you're doing. All the best to you and your family.
-Yasmeen
Shayla,
I'm also an avid blog reader. You're honestly an inspiration to me and I'm trying to figure out how it is you took control of your health and life. It's awesome to see someone that's done and know that I can too.
And that pie looks amazing.
Post a Comment