My Dearest Brother,
There has been much of the same going on in our neck of the
woods. Runny noses, coughs, cold
temperatures and bad air. We encountered something new here for the first time –
freezing rain. Do they get freezing rain in Finland? Basically the rain is so
cold that it isn’t snow but it freezes to everything as soon as it hits. It
turns the world into a natural ice rink and makes traveling conditions very
dangerous. The defroster on my car wasn’t heating the windshield fast enough to
melt the ice on my drive on Bangerter and so I had a tiny little window through
which I could actually see the road. It is not something I would choose to go
through again and I am very glad that it is a rare occurrence here in Utah.
Despite the bad time that I had of getting through the
weather, Jake’s was even worse. The defroster on the Camry doesn’t work at all
and he had to pull over on the freeway three times to scrape off the windshield
before eventually driving the rest of the way to work with all four windows
down and his head sticking out of the car in the freezing rain. When I found
out I totally lost it and demanded that the car get fixed ASAP. I was so
worried about him and never want him to have to do something like that again.
Grandpa Dunford worked hard on the car on Thursday night and all day Friday and
got it working again. Luckily, it didn’t cost us too much.
I spent a good portion of this week doing our taxes.
Exciting, right? I have been highly anticipating them because the amount of our
return is really what was determining our chances of going to Disneyland next
Christmas when you get home. I am pleased to say that it is a sufficient amount
and, Lord willing, we will be able to go. I must admit that I am looking
forward to it more than anything else this year. I better plan something really
exciting in between because that is still quite a ways away!
You asked me last week what Step class is. It is a bit hard
to describe but basically you set up adjustable weight benches and step up and
down on them in different move combinations. It is pure cardio and quite
difficult to do. Since I have only gone twice now I am not very good at it yet
but there were a few people in the class yesterday that very kindly told me how
well I was doing for a first-timer. They told me that they have been going to
Step class for 4-5 YEARS and that the stuff we were doing was pretty advanced.
I really needed that little bit of validation and their kindness meant so much
to me. In my 5:00 am classes things are a lot more intense and there seems to
be a heavier expectation. I don’t have any friends that I go with and so
sometimes things can get discouraging and lonely. I have been fighting feels of
inadequacy a lot this week and just those few words reminded me that I can do
this and that I can succeed. I am still so new to the fitness world in general
and I am trying to find my place still.
Jake has his “final” interview with WGU tomorrow. We should
find out at that time if he will get into the school or not and when he will be
starting classes. I am still very nervous about both of us being in school and
what that is going to mean for us but I know that we will work things out and
pull through. Nothing has changed with his job and he still enjoys the new department
that he is in.
Abrielle will be four in less than 1 month. I can hardly
believe it. We are planning a fun weekend of partying for her. We are going to
take her out shopping and to dinner on her actual birthday and then on Sunday,
February 24th we are going to have dinner with the family
(make-your-own-pizzas, breadsticks and jello salad) and then dessert with
everyone (chocolate/carob cake and ice cream). No, I can’t eat any of that but
that is alright – it isn’t my birthday. I will make my own cauliflower crust
for a pizza and enjoy it immensely.
Nathan has been struggling with sleeping time lately. I don’t
know if this is an early “terrible two” phase but more often than not this week
he just sits in his crib and cries when he should be sleeping. He was up
coughing and crying until 1:30 am last night and I am just about deliriously
tired today. I have been fighting sickness so hard and was winning the battle –
I probably would have been completely better today – however the lack of sleep
has taken a huge toll on my body. Tomorrow will be better! He is still a very
happy and joyful child. He is getting more “aggressive” as he gets older – he pushes
Abrielle if she doesn’t give him what he wants. We always try to gently explain
to him that that isn’t alright and Abrielle has been a model of good behavior
for him – she never pushes him back. I am very proud of her and she really
seems to be growing up in many ways. She is still an extremely private child
and likes to spend time on her own or quietly read stories with me. Nathan is
the opposite. He likes to run around and get into as much as possible and be
near people.
Jake and I will be celebrating Valentine’s Day on Groundhog
Day this year – LOL! We are going to lunch at Rodizio Grill and then going to
see The Phantom of the Opera at BYU. My friend Sam is playing one of the
directors of the theater in the show and we always try to go support him in his
theatrical productions. I am very excited about it and I hope that the weather
will be alright for our long drive to Provo. I will fill you in on all the
details about it next week.
I love you so much, dear brother. Keep me in your prayers,
will you? I am trying to stay positive through this cold and sickness ridden
winter but I do not always win the battle against discouragement. I will
continue to keep you in my prayers.
All my love always and forever,


No comments:
Post a Comment