Sunday, February 10, 2013

Letter to My Missionary Part 11

February 10th, 2013

My Dearest Brother,

Oh boy… I hate to be a downer but this was a REALLY tough week for us. I hope that your week brought a lot more happiness and sunshine than my week did… I will try and accentuate the positive as I go through my re-cap here but, I can't lie... it was a downer of a week.

Monday I woke up not feeling really great but decided (late) to go to Boot Camp anyways. I was 10 minutes late to my class but only missed the instruction part of our workout so it wasn’t a big deal because I know how to do the individual exercises. By the time class was over I was feeling much better and I came home very optimistic and glad that I went. I sat down to breakfast and to tackle my normal scripture reading and journal writing and noticed that I was having a very hard time seeing the pages. There were these bright white circles in front of my eyes. I thought it must just be related to my blood pressure and just having come home from Boot Camp so I pressed on and went through my normal morning meditation. By the time I was finished with that the headache was starting… Migraine. I have only had one before but it was so intense and unexpected that I ended up in the Emergency Room.

After doing some reading on the internet I found out that only 1 in 5 people are blessed with the “aura” – the white lights that interfere with vision. This aura serves as a warning sign to people susceptible to migraines. I am very grateful for this because it means that in the future I can take my migraine medication when the aura starts to prevent the onset of the migraine itself. Unfortunately, I didn’t have migraine medication this time around and so Jake had to take off from work and come home and rescue me – another tender mercy that he actually had the time available to do that. I laid on the couch with my eyes covered and an ice pack on my head until he got home with the medicine and then spent the rest of the day drained in bed. I had to reschedule my piano lessons but was able to find time to do so without too much trouble.

Jake spent the day running around with the kids trying to get our cars fixed. Both cars were leaking antifreeze quite badly and we were going through gallons of coolant like it was gasoline in a vehicle used for extensive travel... luckily he and grandpa were able to make the minor repairs needed to patch up both cars and they are, miraculously, still running. 

Tuesday and Wednesday proceeded quite normally although I wasn’t quite myself. I pulled myself out of bed at 5 am on Tuesday morning and got to the gym just to find that my instructor was home sick. And that evening I drove through horrible traffic to school only to find that, once again, my instructor was going home sick. It took me over an hour round trip to get to school and back (normally it takes me half of that time) and I was disappointed at the wasted time. Wednesday I was heavy laden with huge amounts of homework and a massive project for communications that was hanging over my head. Once we ate dinner that night and I was suddenly experiencing unusual heartburn I was pretty much done with the week and wanted nothing more to do with it. Little did I know….

I woke up Thursday with the stomach flu. Massive stomach cramps that were so intense I felt like I was in labor again and I even blacked out during one of them because the pain was so overwhelming. I called mom to come and rescue me and she took the kids for the day while I spent the day absolutely miserable in bed. I hardly ate anything, couldn’t teach again, but was able to keep everything I did manage to eat down until 9:30 that night when it all decided it didn’t want to be in my body anymore. I went to bed exhausted, sick, and ready for the day to be over.

Friday maintained much of the same scenario although I was able to keep everything down this time for the whole day. Dana (my mother-in-law) was so gracious as to take the kids this time but I had run out of time for rescheduling piano lessons. There was just nowhere left to move them because of having to change so many days. I called each of my piano parents and apprised them to the situation at hand and told them I would take every precaution in moving forward. I wore a medical mask during each lesson and sprayed diligently with disinfectant spray as well as trying to keep my hands washed. It was exhausting and hard but I managed to survive the four hours of lessons that I had to teach that day. Jake and I were supposed to go out on a date that night but I wasn’t feeling up to it so we just stayed in.

Saturday I really wanted to be up and feeling better because Deanne and Luke got married in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple! We were on course for the temple and only running slightly behind on time when we entered the doors and I reached into my pocket to pull out my recommend to find that it was not there. I could hardly believe it. It fell out of my skirt pocket at Mom and Dad’s house while I was ironing my skirt and I, like the sick brain-dead person I was, didn’t even check to make sure that it was still there when we left. We raced back to the house as fast as possible and walked into the sealing room 3 minutes before the ceremony was supposed to start. Luckily Deanne and Luke didn’t come until about 20 minutes after that and I was very happy that they weren’t just sitting there waiting for us.

The ceremony was wonderful and we were very happy to get to be there to celebrate with them. They snapped a quick picture afterwards but we were all quite anxious to get out of the bitter cold, plus Nathan had started this horrible rasping sound. We went over to Schmidt’s Pastry Cottage for their luncheon. I was hoping to get a salad there but their salad dressings were not gluten-free so I ended up not eating anything. I didn’t want to run the risk of getting something that would make me sick that was expensive and not very good. I ate when we got back home and Jake was supposed to go help his family work on their house but Nathan was doing worse and he felt like he needed to stay and help me take care of him since he wouldn’t stop crying.

We ended up deciding that we needed to take Nathan to the Kidscare. We were afraid that the rasping meant his ever pervasive cold had turned into something much more serious and since RSV and strep are very prevalent right now we wanted to make sure he had the proper medications if he needed them. The receptionists at the clinic assured us that the sign indicating that the wait was 1 ½ hours long was only for the adults and that the wait for the children was much shorter. Well… 2 hours later we finally left the clinic with the knowledge that Nathan has croup. Since croup is a viral infection there is nothing that the doctors can do for him. They did, however, give him a steroid medication to help his lungs relax so that he could sleep well last night. They were all very kind and encouraging and I was grateful that we had gone in to make sure even though it was such a long wait.

By the time we got out we were all exhausted and starving. It was past 7:00 pm and so we stopped at Café Rio to grab some take out and head home. I guess we should’ve known better than to think we could just stop at Café Rio on a Saturday night. I had to wait for 30-45 minutes to get our food and was so wiped out by the time I finally walked out of the restaurant. It had been snowing fairly regularly for several hours while we were out and the roads were a slippery nightmare. We were very fortunate to get home safely, without incident, and quickly got the kids fed and to bed so that we could climb into bed and eat our dinner and watch The Mentalist.  

Oh… and on the way to Kidscare Jake informed me that he got an email right at the end of his work day on Friday informing him that he didn’t get the job for the accounting position that he applied for.

Wow… right? Can you believe that all of that happened in just one week? I can hardly believe it myself. And I know that there are people out there who have much worse weeks and much worse things that they have to deal with and everything but I saw this quote this week that really sums up how I feel about that:

"Telling me I can't be sad because someone else has it worse is the same as telling me I can't be happy because someone else has it better." Wow.

I’m not trying to dwell on all of this. In fact, all things considered, I think I have tried to be pretty positive throughout the week and very grateful for the tender mercies that have been extended to me. I have an amazingly supportive family who has saved me on so many occasions this week. They have blessed me and lifted me up when I felt like the whole world was trying to keep me down. But I would be a fool to not admit that this week was very hard and that it did get me down and that I wouldn’t wish this kind of a week on my very worst of enemies. (If I had enemies…)

So here is to hoping that this next week brings some light and positivity that is much needed in this darker hour. I am worn and tread upon but I plan to pick myself up and press forward with full faith in Christ that things are going to be okay. I am down, but I am not out yet and I know that I can get through all of this. I am stronger than my trials and greater than my sorrows - they will not defeat me.

I love you Jeremy. Continue to keep us in your prayers, I am not ashamed to admit that we need them right now. It has been a long and cold winter but spring is coming and new beginnings are on the horizon. I can feel it.

Love always, Shayla

I kept my medical mask on while Nathan was visiting with me on Friday night so that he wouldn't get sick. He wasn't so sure what he thought about that...

Mom made some homemade Vegetable Soup that I got to have. It tasted so good on my healing stomach.

We have had a fly infestation in our house lately. Nathan took it upon himself to tackle the problem and was using this tool to go around the house and sneak up on them and suddenly yell, "WHA!" as he slammed the tool down on their unsuspecting bodies. (I don't think he actually got a single fly...)

This is a darling picture I snapped of Grandma and Grandpa Troff at the temple with Zakiya. They are such awesome Great-Grandparents!

Cute kids trying to stay entertained at the doctor's office.

Nerds rule. I would totally be all over this valentine present if I ate sugar!

QUESTION FOR MY READERS: Have you had days (or weeks) that you wish had never happened? What do you do to help you get through hard times and remain positive? Leave me a comment letting me know! I love hearing from people!

No comments: