Saturday, November 13, 2010

Gotta Love Master Google

I love how fun and creative Google is as a search engine. I went to look something up today and saw this:

Now, maybe you are more on top of trivia than I am but I had NO idea what this was about. Luckily, if you roll over the picture it tells you that it is "Robert Louis Stevenson's 160th Birthday." Once again, I had no idea who that was so I Googled it! And it came up with an entire article for me!

Robert Louis Stevenson Celebrated on Google Doodle

By: Susan Harris
Staff Writer
Published: Nov 13, 2010


Robert Louis Stevenson wrote "Treasure Island" in 1883.


Robert Louis Stevenson was one of the most-read adventure novelists of the late 1800s. Among his most popular books were Kidnapped (1886), The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886), and Treasure Island (1883).


The latter book features Stevenson's famous crafty pirate Long John Silver. Stevenson also published a much-loved book of poems, A Child's Garden of Verse (1885).


Having suffered from tuberculosis for much of his life, Stevenson spent many years travelling in search of a climate that would suit his illness. He finally settled in Samoa, where he died in 1894 and is buried.


The book that some believe would have been Stevenson's best, Weir of Hermiston, was left unfinished at his death.
____________________________________________________________________
After reading the article I felt kind of dumb because I LOVE these stories! But I have a confession.... as much as I love to read I have never actually read them! Time to check them out! If you want to join me (and live in Salt Lake) visit our local county library system found at http://www.slcolibrary.org/.

Love, Shayla

No comments: