Monday, January 20, 2014

Bible in 90

I follow a wonderful blog from a Christian woman at http://lindsayslist.co. She is currently running a challenge to read the Bible in 90 days. I have never read even most of the bible and have really wanted to lately. I had made it to Exodus 19 on my own when I read about this challenge and decided that I wanted to jump on the bandwagon, especially considering that 90 days from today is Easter Sunday. What a lovely way to prepare for that special day!

If you would like to participate check out Lindsay's post here or check out the reading plan here. It is a hefty amount of reading each day but I feel that the benefits far outweigh any sacrifices that need to be made to accomplish it.

Included as part of today's reading is Job 1-6. Along with my reading I make sure to keep the institute study manual handy so that I am not just reading - but I am understanding the material. Usually you can follow along with individual verses in the manual that give greater insight but the section on Job starts with a lengthy discourse by Keith H. Meservy entitled, "Job: 'Yet I Will Trust in Him." (You can read the full text here). It is well worth the extra reading time as it is beautifully written but the last two paragraphs struck me so completely that I couldn't pass by the opportunity to share them. So, if you read nothing else, I will share my favorite part of this discourse:

“It is difficult to live with tension, but mortality—where we see through the glass darkly—is filled with it. There are always ultimate answers to what may appear to be meaninglessness or inexplicability in our lives, though these are not immediately apparent to us, the Lord however, has promised to supply them—eventually (D&C 121:28–32101:27–35). Any individual who insists that a good religious belief must explain all of life’s contingencies if it is to be believable and acceptable, should re-read Job or take counsel from Elder Harold B. Lee who affirmed:
“‘It is not the function of religion to answer all questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give courage (through faith) to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status. Therefore, take heed of yourselves, and as a wise world thinker once said, “If the time comes when you feel you can no longer hold to your faith, then hold to it anyway. You cannot go into tomorrow’s uncertainty and dangers without faith”‘ (Church News, source not quoted).” (Keith H. Meservy, “Job: ‘Yet Will I Trust in Him,’” pp. 139–53.)
I am so grateful and excited for this challenge and I believe that it will bring greater insight and understanding into my life. 
I hope everyone is well and that life is treating you kindly.
Love, Shayla

No comments: