Monday, January 13, 2014

Walking the I Beam

Today in my Fitness Motivation/Behavior Response class we talked a bit about what we value most in life. To help us visualize the concept our instructor gave us the example of having an I beam brought to the school. These beams are shaped in such a way that they look like an "I" at the end. Like this:


She started by asking if she put it on the ground between two buildings if we would walk the I beam together as a class; we, of course, all would. She continued the example by asking if we would walk the I beam if she put it 5 feet off the ground; we still all agreed that we would. 10 feet? That was a little iffy but okay. What about 50 feet? Most were still okay with that but some started dropping out. What if we were given $100 to walk the I beam at 50 feet? $200? Okay... we'll walk the I beam.

Okay, what about if the I beam were suspended between the highest part of the Empire State building that connected with another building? No way! Not a chance. Not a single person said they would go. 

For $1000? No. $2500? No. $100,000? No! A million? You couldn't pay me enough to walk that I beam.

Then my instructor looked directly at me and asked me what my youngest child's name was. I told her. She then said, "What if I had Nathan on the other side of the I beam and the only way you could save him was to cross that I beam suspended between the Empire State building?" Without hesitation I said, "Of course I would go."

She told the class that she wished they could see my face when I responded (I was sitting on the front row). There was no hesitation.

She then asked the class, "What would you walk the I beam for?"

Love, Shayla

2 comments:

Adam Jordan said...

That was one of my favorite classes. You will love it! It's so powerful, not to mention way fun!

Bri Jordan said...

By the way, that last comment was from me. Lol