Thursday, January 16, 2014

Hobbies

Most of you probably know that Abrielle has been in a karate class for the last year or so. She loves going to karate and we love that it gives her something that is "hers" that also teaches her so many valuable life lessons. She turns 5 next month (EEK!!! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?) and, as such, she will no longer be able to participate in her "Tiny Tigers" class at the karate studio she currently attends.


Because of this I have been on the lookout for a new hobby for her. We aren't worried about competition or starting her on a road for something she will do for her whole life. Mostly we just want something that can continue to be "hers" that helps her to grow, develop, and, most importantly, enjoy life. We have found that, for Abrielle, this is important. 

I have looked into other karate studios, gymnastics, tee ball, soccer, and horseback riding lessons. We aren't interested in enrolling her in a dance or music class. (As a piano teacher I know that she is definitely still too young and underdeveloped to start music!) I haven't eliminated all of these options yet but I thought I would just put some feelers out there in case anyone knew of anything and could pass along information. Some of the most important considerations: 
  • I would prefer an activity that runs year round. I like the idea of tee ball and soccer but they are short term and she will be finished with her Tiny Tigers class next month.
  • It can't be very expensive. Since we really are just looking for a hobby for her we don't want to be spending anywhere near $90/month for 1 class a week (that is the option if she stays at the karate studio she is currently at... ouch!) Her tiny tigers class is $35/month for 1 class a week (45 minutes long). I know that this is a great price and we are open to the idea that we need to spend a bit more... but we would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible. 
  • We would like it to be close-ish to home. 
If anyone knows of anything or knows of someone who does, or if you simply have suggestions please leave me a comment or feel free to contact me via Facebook or email. 

Love, Shayla

No comments: