Sunday, January 6th, 2013
My Dearest Brother,
I wish that I had more to report to you but, unfortunately,
our life has been pretty uneventful lately. Abrielle came down with a nasty flu
last weekend and spent the entire week sick with a temperature fluctuating
between 99 and above 101. We were holed up in the house for New Year’s Eve with
cranky and tired kids and couldn’t enjoy any of the fun festivities. Mom even
bought me a lot of special treats and I couldn’t enjoy them. It was really hard
and I was pretty sad about it. Jake and I salvaged what we could of the evening
and made Chicken Tacos and watched Psych together while eating insane amounts
of air popped popcorn. It is my newest obsession. I buy the kernels and we air
pop it each night and add various spices to it. Our current favorite is pure
maple syrup, chili powder, cinnamon and sea salt. AMAZING!
Abrielle, sick in bed, eating her soup and toast
We also came to an important decision about Jake’s schooling
after much pondering, talking and praying – he won’t be going to the University
of Utah. The more we thought about it the more it just didn’t feel like the
right thing. We have decided to move forward with him going to an online
University called Western Governors University. It came highly recommended to
us by some of my friends who are going there and it has gotten great reviews.
It is the only online university that is “sanctioned” by the federal government
which means that we can still apply for Pell Grants to cover his education. He
will be able to go into their Business program and finish his Bachelor’s degree
in Business. Ideally speaking it is not exactly what he wants – he wants to go
into computers – but he already has his Associate’s degree in Business and
changing at this point seems fruitless. We are moving forward with this
decision and so far we feel good about it.
He has also decided to start more actively pursuing another
job within the Church. He met with a manager in the Tech department this week
and this man told him that if he applied for a tech job and put him as a
reference that he would give him a great recommendation. He really wants to
work in the tech department and I know that if the time is right that the Lord
will guide him where he is supposed to be.
I have only one week left before starting school again. I am
a little bit nervous about it but that is normal for me. I am sure that once I
get into a good groove that it will be manageable and enjoyable. I still plan
on attending the gym in the morning when I am not in class so my exercise
schedule will look like this: Monday – Boot Camp (6 am), Tuesday – Powerflex (5:30
am) and I need to run on this day too to prepare for the half marathon in
April, Wednesday – Boot Camp again, Thursday – Running, Friday – Cardio Interval
(5:30 am), Saturday – Running. Hopefully I will have the energy to pull
through! The marathon is April 20th and I am pretty much panicking
at this point after being set back so badly with my injured heel and my health
problems. I am going to ask Jake to give me a school blessing tonight so
hopefully that will help me to know what I should do.
Piano is going alright. I lost a couple of students at the
beginning of this month. The economy is hard and is hitting families strongly.
With the increase in payroll taxes that will hit Jake’s checks this month
things are going to get tight but I trust that the Lord will bless us and help
us to pull through.
Abrielle is finally doing better and getting back to her
normal sick. The same day she got totally better Nathan came down with the flu.
So, once again, today we are holed up in the house instead of enjoying dinner with
the family. I think it is harder on me than anyone else. Although I am a
homebody it is hard to not get to do the things we normally enjoy so much like
Sunday dinners with the family. Abrielle is very happy to be back in preschool
after the Christmas break and I cut her hair again today as it was getting kind
of long. It looks very cute and she looks very grown up and sophisticated.
Today was her first day in Primary as a Sunbeam and I think that she really
enjoyed it. I wish that I had been there with her but I stayed home with Nathan
today.
First day of Primary with her new haircut - looking very grown up!
Nathan is doing really well although he is sick right now.
He is talking more and more and is still as cute as ever. He likes to copy the
things that we do and say and still loves music.
Poor sick baby
I hope that you are doing well, dear brother. I love you
very much and I hope that you had a great New Year celebration. I hope that
2013 is one of the best years of your life. Make it a good one!
Love always and forever,
Shayla
Enjoying a bowl of spaghetti (before he got sick). Playing with mommy and daddy.
Playing with his new hard hat
Smiley boy with a daddy photo-bomb
At the movie theater on Christmas Eve
Driving the simulated car game
Abrielle wearing Nathan's new hard hat - Christmas morning
Abrielle with her new horses
Nathan wearing his new tool belt - Mommy photo-bomb
Nathan with his new bike from his Cookie
QUESTION FOR MY DEAR READERS: What did you do for New Years? What are your biggest plans for the new year? Leave me a comment letting me know! I love hearing from people!













1 comment:
My mom is a mentor at WGU. :) I hope all goes well moving forward with this decision!
Post a Comment