Monday, December 17, 2012

Letter to My Missionary Part 3


December 16th, 2012

My dearest brother,

A very merry unbirthday to me! It is my half birthday today. I wish I could say that the past half of the year has flown by but in many ways it has been going quite slowly. I am ready for 2013 to be here.
I am sorry that I didn't write to you last week. I had a very emotional afternoon and evening and just crashed in bed quite early. It was bad enough that I decided to sleep in on Monday morning instead of going to Cross fit. I think that that really helped me get back on top of things and I was able to get through the week quite successfully.

I had a Biology midterm and the final on Tuesday morning. I spent all day Monday studying and the tests were still hard. There were things that I honestly felt like I had never heard before. For example, it asked what MRAS was. Well out of an entire Biology book how in the world was I supposed to remember that that was an antibiotic that was resistent to menicillin (or something like that). All things considered it didn't go horribly... I got 76 out of 100 on the midterm and 40 out of 50 on the final. It was enough to secure a B+ in the class. I was hoping for better than that but I got A's in all of my other classes so I think it was a successful semester overall. I even got an A in my terribly hard nutrition class. The biggest problem with Biology was that the quizzes were all critical thinking questions and I almost always got 4 out of 5 and had that one question that I just didn't think about the right way. Oh well. I have a school break until the next semester starts on January 15th. I will be taking Boot camp, Evaluate and Assess fitness, Body Image and Weight Management, Intro to effective communication and Introduction to Personal training/group exercise instruction. All of the classes are on campus except for communication. So it should be busy but I am excited.

I have continued to follow a gluten free diet. I wasn't sure for a while if it was the answer because I got the flu and was experiencing a lot of sickness (obviously) but it really does seem to be helping a lot. It has been nice to have to be more creative with what I eat and more and more restaurants offer gluten free options so I can find something to eat.

Jake is still doing well and finally hit his goal of getting below 200 pounds! I am so proud of him and his hard work but I am also proud of his attitude since he hit his goal. Instead of going right back to old habits and gaining the weight right back he has been continually diligent and mindful of making good and healthy choices. He looks great, as you can see by the pictures I have attached. He would like to get down to 190 pounds since that is the range that he should be in for a healthy BMI but he isn't going to work as hard at it as he did to get to 200 pounds. With the way he is still being careful and with the coming of Spring and Summer I am sure he will hit the goal eventually.

Abrielle is as spunky and sassy as ever. She has mastered the hand on the hip look of indignation although she will still listen... evrntually. She is picky but will take at least one bite of the things we give her. Funny story... I made a tofu rice bowl for dinner this week and she was tying to be picky by going through her bowl and picking out all of the tofu pieces. Lol! I count that as a major mommy win.

We took the kids downtown last night for pizza and a train ride. Abrielle was soooooo excited and bounced all over the train. She didn't want to get off but I told her we would go home and make drink treats. I made Wassail with real apples and a clementine. Jake thought it was strong and not very sweet but I thought it was almost too sweet! I guess I am weird.

Abrielle loves Winnie the Pooh and bounces around the house like Tigger. She has a stuffed Eeyore toy that mom bought her that she loves to carry around as well. 

Nathan continues to be as adorable as ever and is admired wherever we go. He is a true source of peace and joy in my life.

Well I am out of time now but I love you so very very much, my dear brother. I will try very very very hard to write next week so that I can wish you a Merry Christmas!

Love always and forever,
Shayla

At our friend's wedding. Congratulations Amy and Justin!








2 comments:

It's a Wonderful Life said...

Cute pictures! You are a beautiful family.

Shayla Bentley said...

Thank you so much! You are so sweet!