Sunday, December 2, 2012

Letter to My Missionary 2

My dearest brother,

This week has been one of ups and downs. I had some really bad days on Monday and Tuesday and decided that I needed to talk to my doctor about what could be done. I called in and was able to be an appointment for the next morning at 8:20. Jake had to work so I asked mom to come with me to back me up.

The appointment went terribly. I really don't feel like Dr. Boud listened to me at all. When I suggested that there was something wrong with my adrenals he literally laughed at me and said it was so unlikely that if a blood test for that came back positive he would ''eat his hat.'' He focused too much on my asthma even though I told him multiple times that I didn't want anything for it and that the turmeric has been helping me. And I wish I had never mentioned that I haven't been sleeping well this week because I feel like that is really when be stopped listening to me totally. I tried to tell him that it was only this week that I hadn't been sleeping well and that my problems had been going on for a whole month now but it didn't help. He listened to my lungs and, despite the fact that I even had a cold, be said that my lungs sounded great. I wanted to say to him, ''Yeah... I already told you that.''

Listening to my lungs was the ONLY physical examination that he did and he didn't order any blood work at all. He prescribed me a medication to take, as needed, for anxiety and panic attacks and another medication for my seratonin levels which he claimed were the culprit. I ish so much that he had referred to it by its generic name because I would have given him an earful about it. What he prescribed me is Zoloft - an anti-depression medication. I have taken it before to help me deal with some post partum depression after I had Nathan.

When I found out that that is what it is I was so mad. Basically he didn't listen to me, didn't do an exam, didn't do any blood work, and prescribed me a depression pill. I am not depressed, I can tell you that. I spent a lot of Thursday morning crying. I felt so angry and belittled and lost. Now I had no answers and no path to follow. I was expecting Dr. Boud to help me find that path and instead I got the bad experience I did.

However, one good thing came of the appointment. I started looking up diseases that mimicked depression. I figured that if that is what Dr. Boud thought I had and I felt like I really didn't then that was a good place to start. Something that really caught my eye in that search was that celiac disease and gluten intolerance can mimic the symptoms of depression. I looked up the symptoms and a lot of them matched what I was experiencing.

I don't know if you remember, but I was tested for celiac disease in 2009. My blood test came back positive with my tissue transglutaminase test at a level of 25. Because of this high level they had me undergo the endoscopy to look for the celiac sprue. Surprisingly, that test came back negative although the doctor said that my stomach lining was inflamed. I took a full course of Prilosec OTC and thought nothing more of it.

Well, as I continud researching a lot of people claimed that if your blood test for gluten intoleance came back positive, even if the scope came back negative, that you had it. Others claimed the opposite - ony two positives meant celiac/gluten intolerance. I don't know if I already told you, but before all of this happened I had decided to cut back on breads and such because, I told Jake, I felt like my symptoms were worse after consuming those things. Because of this and my reading and such I have decided to try an experiment the last few days - I have cut out gluten from my diet. I figure that there is no harm in trying it as I am not really planning on going back to the doctor to get retested. If you get tested it is important to be eating gluten because the damage it causes is what shows up on their tests. So if you don't eat gluten and that damage heals it won't show up.

So far the test has been quite interesting. My appetite is back, the nausea is gone, the weakness and muscle cramps are gone and I feel like a normal level of tired that is only related to my sleeping patterns. I have been so much happier and more calm and able to function normally.

The only things that haven't been totally better are my asthma and the dizziness. My asthma has never been worse since going off of the Dulera. The turmeric capsulses keep it under control so that I don't have to take my rescue inhaler but I feel like my lungs are still re-learning on how to deal with it on their own without the assistance of the steroids. I know that Dr. Boud would say that that is ridiculous but I really feel like it is true. I focus on relaxation and deep breathing techniques when it gets worse and that seems to help me the most. Grandpa is also helping me look into essential oils that may help.

The dizziness is a strange issue because I feel like there is increased pressure in my ears. When the pressure increases my dizziness gets worse. I need to do more research on possible causes and what might help but I am glad to be filtering down the number of problems that I need to worry about.

I plan to continue eating gluten free. Until I have solid evidence that this is NOT the problem I am just so happy and relieved to be feeling more like myself now. Jake and I went to dinner on Friday for our date night and we had the best time. We were laughing and joking and it was just like 'old times.' Jake has commented several times on how I seem more like myself now. If I have a relapse and suddenly start feeling the way that I did despite being gluten free then I will reevaluate at that point but for now this seems to be working and I am incredibly grateful that something is.

Phew. Besides that long story I am also facing finals right now. I only missed three on my first aid final and have official certified now. I have a lot of work left to do before the semester is over. I think I have four assignments, six quizzes, three 'midterms' and two finals left. And everything is due by December 6th. :-) Wish me luck!

Did I tell you that I registered for Spring semester 2013? I will be taking Boot camp, Intro to personal training/group exercise, evaluate and assess fitness, Intro to communications and body image/weight management. I am very excited.

Speaking of school registration.... we went to register Jake for Spring semester at the U and found out that we were locked out of the system. We called the registrar and found out that because he didn't attend classes in the Fall semester that they assumed we weren't really interested in attending the school and they dumped him out of the system. They told us that we had to reapply to the school. Well, no more applications for Spring semester are being accepted. We sent them a, 'Now what?' Email and they basically just said, 'Sorry. That is how it goes. Apply for Summer semester.' And just to add salt to the wound... the University just released a statement th SAME day that this happened saying that they were implimenting a deferrment policy at the school where you could defer your enrollment for UP TO SEVEN YEARS. And yet, one semester is not possible before now.

We had no idea that this would happen and we were very shocked and surprised. The personel at the U assured us that everything would be fine for him to start in the Spring but I guess they didn't take into account in their reassurances that it was supposed to be his first semester. It was an unfortunate oversight. Well, in some ways I guess. Jake is (as am I) pretty excited for the longer break and I guess it was meant to be. Now we have the opportunity to assess if going to the U is even the right thing. It seems like, since this happened that maybe that is the reason this happened.

Besides this, Jake is still struggling to reach his weight loss goal. He is doing things right and has just hit a most unfortunate plateau. He is going to try to run a little bit further each day this week to see if it will help. I am convinced that it is water weight that his body is holding on to. I don't know. I wish I was more knowledgeable already about what to advise him to do. Actually... I just had an idea so maybe we will try that as well this week. His job is going well and he got trained this week in order to be able to take garment calls.

Abrielle has been loving here Nabi 2 and it has helped her behavior so much. She is much more kind and wikling to do things so that she can earn playing time. It has also been a great way to help ber regroup. She is such a private child and gets easily overwhelemed and over stimulated. If we can just set her up comfortably in a quiet corner with her Nabi then she doesn't get over stimulated and out of control. I really think she has been a different child in many ways this week, despite being excessively tired bcause she is refusing to take naps anymore even though she needs them.

Nathan is communicating more and more, mostly in gestures. It is nice to know exactly what he wants so much if the time. It is also very helpful that he nods and shakes his head - not always exactly the way he should but he does seem to be understanding a lot as well. He follows directions well and can execute demands such as, ''Go get your coat.'' He also has a major sweet tooth and will jump at every opportunity to get sweets and candy. He must be his father's son. Lol!

We had the opportunity this week to go to the Zions Bank Christmas party with mom, dad and Brynndi. The kids got pretty restless towards the end of the movie but we made it through. The movie was 'Arthur Christmas' and it was darling. It is definitely one that I wouldn't mind owning. The kids got a treat bag and a litle toy bag. There was a small red slinky in the bag that Nathan just loves. He was so fascinated by it and played with it all the way home.

We also had the ward Christmas party last night. I ate before we went because of my weird diet but the dinner was a good classic of ham and potatoes and Jake and the kids loved it. We had two ward members - one played the bag pipe and one played the accordian. It was amazing! They were both so talented and it was fun and different to sing carols with that kind of accompaniment.

Well I have probably talked your ears off with my update. I just miss being able to tell you in person and want to make sure you don't miss out on the goings on of our lives. We are so proud of you Jer. Is there something that I can do in your name for mom and dad for Christmas? I wukd be happy to do what I could to help you out. I love you so much, dear brother, and I am proud to be your sister. Keep up the good work, stay warm, and go forward to teach with God. He will uplift you and sustain you as long as you turn to him. Never walk alone for you do not need to. Taste and know of the goodness of God.

Love always, Shayla

No comments: