Friday, September 18, 2009

Biopsy

I probably should have posted about this before now but I have been crazy busy trying to get ready for the TWO baby showers that I am throwing/helping to throw tomorrow. My wonderful sister Alyssa is pregnant with a baby girl (Serenthia Skye Murray) - due October 23rd, 2009. And my great friend Cassandra Adams is also pregnant with a baby girl (Cali Elaine Adams) - due November 4th, 2009. Tomorrow is the best time that we can do the showers... so there you go!

I am not into the whole needles, being put under, having a tube stuck down my throat thing. Let's be honest - who would be!? But, as I anticipated, the IV was the worst part. My darling Jake took the day in PTO so that he could be with me and help me laugh as much as I could. The nurse, bless her heart, missed on the first vain she tried and tried to correct a bit before deciding to do a different vain in the middle of my forearm. Gotta admit - that was a different experience. It felt really weird to have the IV there. But they started pumping me with "Gatorade" that had a miraculous ability to calm me down and make me feel less shaky.

They then proceeded to decorate me like a Christmas tree. They put three sticky patches on my chest and two on my arms and hooked colorful wires to them to monitor my heart rhythm. They put me on a stretcher and wheeled me into the room and put an oxygen tube in my nose. Have you ever had one of those? They really don't smell very good. And it made my nose extremely cold. But after the doctor asked me all sorts of necessarily penetrating questions, they had me get comfortable on my left side and strapped a piece of plastic into my mouth so that I wouldn't clamp down after being put to sleep. I remember seeing the white liquid go into my IV and couting from 10, and then trying to start over. I don't think I got anywhere because the next thing I knew I was in a different room and Jake was there.

The people were so nice and tried to make me as comfortable as possible. The doctor said that my insides look completely normal (yay for no ulcers!) so now it is just a matter of waiting for the lab tests to come back to see if I have Celiac disease. I have been off of gluten since the test and I have felt so much better - so I would be completely shocked if the test came back negative.

I am glad it is over and I am glad to have so many loving family members and friends who were there for me and got me through it! You guys are the best!

Love Shayla

No comments: