We got to celebrate the fourth of July this year with our beautiful Abrielle! I firmly believe that holidays are much more spectacular when you have kids. It is like rediscovering the small and simple joys in life all over again.
We started the day by sleeping in - hurray! We got up, got ready, and met my sister Alyssa and her new husband Matt at Jim's Family Restaurant for breakfast. Luckily we didn't have to wait for 45 minutes to be seated or get trapped in by a parade this year. :-)
After breakfast we went back home to get ready for festivities at Great Grandma and Grandpa Troff's house. Abrielle slept for a while when we first got there and Jake and I just visited with people and enjoyed the newly designed patio. When Abrielle woke up she was completely fascinated by the kids running around in their swimming suits, going down the giant inflatable slides, and shooting each other with giant water guns. She didn't last long before she started believing that she needed to join in the fun. Because we couldn't ever find a swimming suit in her size I just put her in an extra onesie and filled the baby pool up with warm water from the house and let her lay in it and splash. Abrielle thought that that was just about the coolest thing that has ever happened to her. She was laughing and splashing and having a fabulous time.
When the water started to get pretty cool I fed and put Abrielle down for a nap while Jake decided he needed to join in the fun. He hadn't brought his swimming suit along and so he was running around the backyard with my brothers and brother-in-law in his new jean shorts. They teamed up against each other and had a giant water fight which turned into a giant wrestling match. I think that they all have the bruises and welts and muscle aches to prove it today! The funniest part though? Jake's shorts were brand new - meaning they leaked blue pretty badly. So when he finally slowed down enough he looked like a giant Smurf! LOL! I am very mad I didn't get a picture of it!
We had an amazing barbecue dinner of hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, fresh fruits and veggies, my mom's famous potato salad, and LOTS of liquid refreshment. We finished off the night with the fireworks show which Abrielle LOVED! We got special ear plugs for her so that the loud noises wouldn't scare her but they weren't so thick that she couldn't still hear some things. She loved the bright lights and just stared and stared and stared.
By the end of the night we were all EXHAUSTED and thoroughly partied out! It was a fabulous holiday and I am looking forward to the next big one (Halloween?) to enjoy with my beautiful girl and fabulous husband!
Love Shayla and the Bentleys
1 comment:
That sounds like so much fun. We took Breena to fireworks, afraid that she would be scared of the noises, but she just LOVED it.
Post a Comment