My first mother's day started out fantastic! My adorable Jake brought me breakfast in bed and I got to play with my present - an 8" LCD digital photo frame with touch sensor technology! I do a lot of projects on Adobe Photoshop and Jake wanted me to have somewhere to really show them off.
We had a fabulous morning together and with Abrielle and went off to church. I got a mostly dead flower from the ward which I think is hilarious. They just knew I would kill it anyway so why not give it to me mostly dead to begin with! Then I only have to feel half as bad when it dies. :-)
We stopped by our apartment which is always a lemon in my basket because it is such a mess but we INSISTED that it be finished today and we're planning on going out there tomorrow to clean like CRAZY!
The sour part of the day started when we got back to my Grandparent's house for our fun dinner. We noticed on Saturday evening that Abrielle felt pretty warm, but thought she had just been under a blanket too long. When she was still really warm after church yesterday we decided to take her temperature. We took it under her arm and the thermometer said 101.9! I was shocked and didn't believe it so we decided to do a rectal temperature for more accuracy - sure enough, 101.9...
We were completely shocked! She hasn't displayed ANY other symptoms of sickness except that she has been sleeping a lot and not eating quite as much. (She was eating 4 - 6 oz every 3 hours and the last few days she has only eaten 3 1/2 - 4 oz every 3 hours.) We called Kidscare hoping that we could just get the recommended dosage of Infants' Tylenol that we could give her. They told us that her temperature was too high and we had to take her in to be seen. So at 7:00 pm last night we took her in.
After weighing her and getting her pulse/oxygen level the doctor came in to see us. She checked all of the regular things (ears, nose, mouth, heart, lungs) and was also shocked that she looked so healthy. This is where the story gets really sad... because she had no obvious symptoms but such a high temperature they have to run her through a series of tests to see if there is bacteria in her system. They put a catheder in her urinary tract. I was holding her hands and head and talking to her and she was a really good girl and just wimpered because she was uncomforable. The urine looked suspicious and they were pretty sure she had a bladder infection but they wanted to do a blood draw anyway just to make sure. I couldn't believe how big the needle was that they stuck in her! I was holding her hands while she screamed and trying to bite back tears myself. Jake was sitting in the lobby and was just sick when he could hear her. The blood came out so slowly that it took a while before the horrible experience was over and then they had to test it to make sure it wasn't clotted or else they would have to take another draw out of her foot. (The first one was in her arm.) Thankfully the blood wasn't clotted and we went back to the doctor's office. They gave her a shot of antibiotic and want her pediatrician to decide the course of action to take depending on how she looks today. So we have to go back today. They gave her some Tylenol last night and I can give her more every 4 hours...
We finally left the office right before 10:00 pm last night. Needless to say, it wasn't exactly the best 1st mother's day... The rest of the day went really well. My mom and grandmother gave me "North & South" as a present. I am trying to remain positive that my very first mother's day was just another experience in being a mom and wasn't a total bomb - it was just an unfortunate turn of events last night.
We sincerely hope your family is healthy and happy!
Love from Shayla, Jake, & Abrielle
1 comment:
Oh that is so sad! I hope that everything turns out better! I'm sorry yo u did not have a good mother's day!
Post a Comment