Monday, October 6, 2008

One FANTASTIC Year of Marriage Down - An Eternity to Go!

Jake and I spent the last three days (Friday to Sunday) spending every waking (and sleeping) moment together doing SO many fun things! We had a great anniversary weekend and here are a few of the highlights:

FRIDAY

We went to breakfast at Jim's Family Restaurant and STUFFED ourselves. We went bowling at the AllStar Lanes just off of Redwood and 7800 South and we decided officially that bowling is not my forte. My highest score was around 75... my USUAL scores were in the mid 50s. We got slurpees at Seven Eleven after bowling and decided that we wanted to go home and watch Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl. We went to dinner at Applebees (thanks to Aunt Malinda and Uncle Ty for the $25 gift certificate) and had a GREAT meal that just hit the spot. We took off for Orem after dinner to go to Jake's mission reunion. He served in the Hawaii Honolulu mission. It was fun to meet some people I've heard about and Jake had a really great time seeing everyone, especially his mission president.

SATURDAY

We made German Pancakes and bacon together in the morning - super good! We loved watching Conference together in our jammies all cuddled on the couch and for lunch we had Reubens! (Pastrami sandwiches on Squaw bread from Village baker with Swiss cheese, mustard, and sauerkraut.) We played a few rounds of Clue before the next session of conference. We had to have the TV turned up really loudly for the 2nd session because I was trying to get ready (blow dry my hair) so that we could go to INTO THE WOODS at the Hale Center Theatre.

The play was good, although not as good as I remembered it from seeing it at the Draper Historic Theater. The talent was amazing, no doubt, but I didn't enjoy the storyline as much this time around. There is a part in the second act of the play where one of the main characters has an affair - not a great thing to be sitting through when you're celebrating your wedding anniversary. Jake and I didn't like that part at all, but the rest of the show was pretty good.

After the play Jake took me to Red Lobster for dinner and OH MAN!!! SO GOOD!!! We started things off with complimentary rolls and ordered a lobster cheese chip dip appetizer. It was VERY tasty and we were also enjoying munching on a Caesar side salad. For dinner we got the ULTIMATE FEAST which includes a lobster tail, crab legs, fried shrip, garlic shrimp scampi, and we got a side dish of calamari (squid) because we like it so much. Needless to say we were EXTREMELY full and EXTREMELY satisfied and we were EXTREMELY pleased with our bill. The whole thing, generous tip included, was only $45 for the two of us! Not bad for so much seafood!

We stuck on Harry Potter : The Sorcerer's Stone in our bedroom when we got home and I promptly fell asleep. Jake was up past midnight so that he could see the end of the movie. :-)

SUNDAY

We had another fantastic breakfast that we enjoyed making together - Fruit filled Crepes and Bacon. (We had leftover bacon from the day before). We had a TON of breakfast and so we didn't really have a definite "lunch" between Conference sessions. Again, we enjoyed Conference and spent the day playing a LOT of games together - Clue, Monopoly, Rummikub, Gin Rummy, etc. We had a romantic candlelight dinner of spaghetti, caesar salad, breadsticks, pears, and sparkling red grape juice. And we finished the night off by going for a walk, all bundled up against the cold weather.

It was the most fantastic weekend and we were both very sad to see it end. Especially because Jake has work and school and I have work and piano lessons today so we won't see each other at all for the whole day.

I am so grateful for the blessings of an eternal marriage. This past year has been fantastic and I thank my Heavenly Father every day for sending Jacob Bentley into my life!

Love from the Bentley Family

3 comments:

Rachel E. Bytheway said...

Shayla! Sounds like an AMAZING weekend! I can't believe you've been married a year! So crazy... And congrats on the baby girl! I'm so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome! I'm glad you had such a great weekend.

Shannon said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun time. Congrats on the year anniversary! :)