Friday, April 4, 2014

So... I Think I Just Got a Job

It has been a while since I last updated. First and foremost, my brother, Zac, got called to the Jakarta Indonesia mission!!! We are so excited for him and for his opportunity to serve the Lord for two years. He reports to the MTC on July 2nd - less than one month after his high school graduation. I will be updating a blog for him while he is away just as I did for my brother Jeremy. If anyone is interested in following along the blog address is: http://elderzactroff.blogspot.com.


Okay so... I think I just got a job. I'm still a bit blindsided by the whole thing so I'm not sure if what I will say will be quite coherent. Bear with me!

As you all probably know, I am an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer and I am going to school at SLCC for my AAS degree in Fitness Technology. Some of my final internship hours have been with a company that is just rolling out called Exercise is Medicine. To learn more about this program you can visit their page at: http://exerciseismedicine.org/about.htm. But, basically, what it is is people who work in conjunction with patients through doctor referral for lifestyle intervention. For example, if someone with a chronic illness went to the doctor and needed to change their exercise and eating habits the doctor can refer their patient to EIM for full implementation of the needed lifestyle intervention - exercise, nutrition, and whole life wellness. It also integrates spiritual wellness into the program - although not in the religious sense but more in the "let's all be good human beings" way.


I had my interview with the people who are heading up this program in the Salt Lake Valley. The metaphor I keep using is that Starfleet is starting to build their fleet. They have the Enterprise and are trying to fill it with their best before they continue to expand their fleet into other ships. Nerdy enough metaphor for you?


Honestly? I wasn't prepared for this interview. I didn't know what it would be like. I thought it was a casual meeting to "feel people out" to find out which of us were interested in continuing with the program. But I got asked a LOT of questions and felt more nervous than I have since I interviewed for Sterling Scholar in high school... eek! Are interviews always that nerve racking?

I told them a lot about me, including my super nerdy science background. When I finished one of them said, "Wow. Impressive resume." I think that that was a good sign. They asked if I had questions for them about the program and then handed me a schedule of shifts!!! I was like uh.......... oh.... okay! I guess we're doing this!

A few things I tried to make very clear during the whole process: 1) My family is my first priority, 2) I'm not looking for full-time work or even a job that will be "necessary" income, 3) I am very interested in getting my foot in the door of this company. If I can get in on the ground floor of this and it goes where they are envisioning it will... it is going to be an amazing opportunity. 

I told them that the very best shift for me would be Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00 am (eek!!!!) to 9:50 am. Only 4 hours, twice a week? I can manage that. And that means that Jake would drop off our kids to my sister (my most amazingly generous and amazing-as-all-get-out sister) on his way to work and I would only be away from them for a few hours, a few times a week - far less than I am away from them right now while I am going to school. AND, it doesn't interfere with my piano lessons. Because, I am still teaching piano lessons.


We basically finished with them asking me how soon I can start and how much time I have left in my internship.... so... I am pretty sure I got the job. I am pretty sure that means I am almost an official exercise therapist. I am also pretty sure I feel like this right now: 


I am really excited about and grateful for this opportunity. I know that the Lord has lead my family to this point and that he will continue to lead us. How will this pan out? I have no idea. When do I actually start working? I have no idea. I felt like I was very candid with them about who I am and what I want and they still want me. That is a very good sign. However, if I feel like this opportunity takes away from my family I will close the door of opportunity and walk away. As long as it doesn't? I am very grateful to have it!

So... yeah... Wow... shall we revisit the deer? I'm still reeling!

In other news, Jake passed another class last night - 9 more credit hours! He only has 3 classes left and he is finished with his Bachelor's degree in Business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I get a HALLELUJAH!?!?


AND 5 more weeks until I finish school. Good things are happening folks. Good things!

I hope everyone is super awesomely fantastic. Yes. Everyone.

Loves,

Shayla

No comments: