Back towards the end of January I wrote THIS post about a challenge I was undertaking to read the entire Holy Bible in 90 days. I have never read the bible before and since we are covering the Old Testament in our Gospel Doctrine class this year (and I am one of the teachers) I felt that I would be better prepared for my lessons if I had read the bible. I really liked this particular challenge because it ended right before Easter and I felt that if I really just hit it hard and fast that I would stick with it and get through the whole thing.
Well... I did.
90 days later I finished the entire bible.
It was infinitely more richly rewarding than I ever anticipated it would be - and much harder as well. Most people warn you about Numbers, Deuteronomy, and Isaiah. No no no. I didn't have any trouble with any of those. I really enjoyed the details given about the Israelites. I will grant you that reading about every single detail was trying at times, but still fascinating. I thought Isaiah was beautifully poetic.
The parts I really stumbled over were Jeremiah, Ezekiel, somewhat in Psalms and Proverbs, and some of the beginning writings of Paul. Don't get me wrong!!! I know that there are wonderful lessons and information in all of those books. It was just an adjustment as the writing got difficult and the interpretations were hazy. But I still read them all!
Would I do it again? Probably not. Reading 14 to 15 chapters a day in conjunction with the institute study manual was a huge commitment and it was really hard to do at times, especially with school right now. It was an excellent way to get through it for the first time. But now I am reading 1 chapter out of the Book of Mormon and 1 chapter out of the Bible each day. It will take me a LONG time to get through it a second time, but I feel that I will get even more out of it this way.
I learned some incredible lessons about the Gospel, about myself, and about my Heavenly Father through this challenge. I can honestly say that reading the bible strengthened my testimony, helped me to become a better person, I gained some amazing perspective about the principles of the gospel, learned more about the character of Christ, and was drawn closer to my Father in Heaven and to my faith. I feel much better prepared for this year while I am privileged to teach Gospel Doctrine and look forward to the continual light and knowledge that will come as I make the bible a regular part of my scripture study.
The best part of this challenge? The gospel discussions it inspired. I had countless numbers of discussions with various family members that I feel greatly enriched my life and (hopefully) their lives as well. My sweet husband and I had many discussions about the principles I was reading and learning about and I feel that it really strengthened our marriage.
I am very grateful for everything this challenge brought to me and to my family. We have truly been blessed.
All my love, Shayla
No comments:
Post a Comment