Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Year in Review

This year was one of tremendous growth for our family - especially for me. I have learned a great deal about myself this year and look forward to the wonderful things that 2014 will bring to our family!

JANUARY:
We struggled with some illness throughout January. A cat had crawled into one of our basement window wells and died - we didn't know about it but had a horrible influx of flies. It caused quite a bit of illness throughout the winter. But January was not all bad!

Abrielle went to primary for the very first time as a big, grown-up Sunbeam.

We captured this sweet moment with Abrielle and her Grandma Dana.

We survived Nathan being sick once again and even got some smiles!

FEBRUARY:
Still battling with CAT PLAGUE we pushed through February. We experienced many significant events and had a blast and a half through it all!
Jake and I were able to see The Phantom of the Opera at BYU. My friend Sam Bostwick was one of the opera owners and did a wonderful job!

I finally made this most difficult of all desserts with it ending up looking extremely appetizing - versus a big mess and a pile of frustration! Happy birthday Daddy!

My Aunt Deanne found her sweetheart, Luke, and they were married in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. I captured this beautiful moment of my grandparents with my little niece, Zakiya.

The babies and I spent some time having fun together - eating popcorn (mommy's addiction) and watching Toy Story 2 (their addiction at the time).

We worked hard on Jake's parent's home remodel. Nathan had to be in on the action as much as possible.

My brother had the lead in the winter play at Bingham High School. We thoroughly enjoyed this comedic performance and supporting my brother!

Abrielle turned 4!!! How could that possibly have happened?! We had a magnificent day celebrating her birthday at the bounce place, going to dinner, going to Toys R Us, and playing with her new toys at home.

Great Grandma Traci and Abrielle at her birthday party - one of my favorite moments from the year.

MARCH:
Abrielle started karate! I started working with Kayden in his personal training to improve his stamina for chess. Jake started at WGU to pursue his Bachelor's Degree in Business with an emphasis in Information Technology. I decided to finish my degree in Chemistry as well as get my Fitness Technology degree.

Typical Nathan - so happy and fun!

Finally got back to running after my injury last October.

First Easter egg hunt at the Troff's house

Jake turned 28!!! We celebrated with a day hiking, eating, and enjoying one another's company.

Abrielle had the opportunity to go to the zoo with the Murray's. They were so awesome and she had a wonderful time!

APRIL:
This was an extremely significant month for our family as far as future planning and spiritual development went (See THIS post). A busy semester wound down for me. My cousin Charly married my brother's best friend, Benjamin Anderson. One of my best friends, Cari DeCoursey, got married. Zac ran for SBO Vice President at Bingham - and WON!

We spent a wonderful family night at the park and...

getting ice cream! None for me but I had a blast watching my loves enjoy it.

We spent the morning time between conference sessions at the Daybreak park. The kids loved it and the weather was a little chilly but rather pleasant. 

Darling picture at my cousin's wedding of the little girls with the beautiful bride! My sister is the tallest one in the yellow shirt holding Abrielle's hand. My nieces are on the other side - Zakiya and Serenthia.

This is the GIANT poster that I colored for Zac as well as doing the wording. You can't tell but Zac's coat is made up of newspaper pieces that gave it a fun texture and pattern - much like many of the things that Zac usually wears!

MAY:
I was designated as official "event coordinator" for our Disneyland vacation. I was able to find us a wonderful place to stay and made all of the reservations. I registered for summer 2013 semester - 15 credit hours! Abrielle finished up her first year of preschool. I attended the Blend retreat and... didn't enjoy it much but learned some good things about myself. 
We enjoyed the a warm fire and a night of smores at Matt and Alyssa's house after they built their fire pit!

Kayden returned from the US Chess Championships and we were able to go straight from the airport to see Zac's SBO induction ceremony. He played the former SBO president in chess after that and beat him in 2 moves!

Since mom was with Kayden at the US Chess Championships over her birthday and mother's day we made sure to have these beautiful roses delivered to her hotel room.

JUNE:
I decided it had been too long since I took Calculus and Chemistry and that it would be unwise for me to pursue them at this time. Jake and I got new phones - he got the Samsung Note 2 and I got the Samsung Galaxy S3. Alyssa and I donated plasma to earn money for Grandma Traci's Disneyland ticket. We participated in the Zion's Bank Paint-a-Thon with my dad. I turned 25! Summer semester started in full swing. One of my best friends, Ashley Cook, had her 2nd baby (a darling little boy!)

Cute baby boy!

The summer was beautiful - so sunny and fun!

JULY:
We had a wonderful 4th and 24th of July with lots of fun and fireworks. Nathan turned 2! Matt and Alyssa brought home their purebred golden retriever, Korra. I did well in Kinesiology and learned to love the class. I ran my first (and probably last) half marathon and learned a lot about myself and life (See THIS post). 

We enjoyed a mini-vacation with my family for the 24th. We went fishing in Hanna and then spent the day at Jordanelle. Abrielle loved catching fish with Papa!

Getting ready to run. These smiley faces were not so smiley at the end!

Birthday boy driving his new car!

Riding the merry-go-round for the millionth time at Jungle Jim's Playland.

Abrielle got sick on the 24th so we had to take her home early but Nathan wasn't about to miss out on the fireworks so my mom was master grandma and took care of the babies!

AUGUST:
I finished up the hardest semester of my degree with flying colors! Fall semester started just 2 weeks later. Brynndi (my baby sister) got baptized. Abrielle started her second year of preschool. Jake finished up his semester at WGU. We went to the dinosaur museum with the Murrays and had a blast and a half. We saw our biggest home improvement project (basement remodel) from start to finish! We lost a family friend to a freak accident and spent a good deal of time grieving. 

Before, during, and after!

Beautiful babies at a beautiful temple!

First day back to preschool

Walking the eggplant

Walrus Nathan

Spunky and fun-loving Abrielle

First night in a "big boy" bed

Awesome date night at The Leonardo

The family on Brynndi's baptism day (minus Jeremy and Zakiya)

Super fun day at the dinosaur museum

We love the Anderson family and we are so sorry for their loss. We were very grateful to be able to grieve with them and to feel of their strength and love.

SEPTEMBER:
The cars, amazingly, passed safety and emissions once again. We attended a fabulous barbecue with some of my friends from high school. Jake started into a new semester at WGU. Abrielle had an amazing turn around in her behavior (See THIS post). We celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary early. We watched Serenthia and Zakiya overnight and took 4 kids under the age of 4 to church! My cousin, Ashlee, got married in the Oquirrh Mountain temple. Abrielle earned her yellow belt in karate!

Another Sunday morning at the temple grounds.

Mostly cousins!

Cousin love!

Sibling love!

Love in general. FAVORITE picture!

Super cute girl with her new yellow belt and certificate!

Church with 4 under 4!

My momma and me

OCTOBER:
I took, and PASSED, the ACSM Personal Training Certification exam. I got a cold that turned into acute bronchitis that turned into a bad sinus infection = NOT fun!!! Serenthia turned 4 and had a cute little Halloween party that Abrielle got to attend. Alyssa and I presented Grandma Traci with her ticket to Disneyland for her birthday. We had a fun Halloween. Alyssa took some awesome family pictures for us. Mom and Kayden left for Budapest, Hungary.

Sibling love!

Handsome Nathan

An absolutely perfect moment, captured forever

Beautiful Abrielle

Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Abrielle's first "big" bike!

Grandma's birthday present

Pumpkin carving at the Murray's

Halloween with Grandma Traci

Cousin love

Cute Nathan

Aunt Brynndi and her nieces

NOVEMBER:
Jake and I celebrated Christmas early by going to Abravanel Hall to see the Four Seasons. Abrielle gave her first talk in primary. We attended a gender reveal party for Jake's sister and found out we are having another niece in April 2014. We saw the Hunger Games in a special pre-screen showing with my dad. Mom and Kayden came home from Budapest, Hungary after a month of being away!!!! Thanksgiving was fabulous and we had a great time Black Friday shopping. We enjoyed actually having a FALL!!! Fall in Utah? What is that about?

Official

Handsome, playful boy at the park - last day of good weather.

My monkey on the monkey bars

DECEMBER:
Although December is only half over and there are still many things that we are looking forward to I knew that this is one of the last opportunities I will have in order to do this review because of the wonderful things we have coming. So far in December I finished up fall semester 2013 and we have enjoyed some wonderful Christmas events. 
Abrielle is extremely excited for Christmas. We have to enjoy these years when they are perfectly content with just their 2 foot personal Christmas trees and we don't have to set up the big tree!

First big snow day outside!

Frozen babies!

STILL COMING IN 2013:

MONDAY, DECEMBER 16TH = Rowley (Jake's aunt and uncle) family Christmas party

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 19TH = My brother comes home from his mission in Helsinki, Finland!!!

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 20TH = Troff Family date night

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 21ST = My last day of piano lessons until mid-January

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 22ND = Dunford Family Christmas party

MONDAY, DECEMBER 23RD = Bentley family Christmas party

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 24TH = Annual Christmas Eve celebrations with Troff family

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 25TH = CHRISTMAS!!!

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 29TH = Jeremy's homecoming talk

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 31ST = New Year's Eve

We hope that you all had a spectacular year. We are grateful for all of the wonderful experiences we have had in 2013 and the things that we have learned. We have grown so much as individuals and as a family and we are excited to see what 2014 brings!

Love, Shayla Bentley

No comments: