Sunday, November 10, 2013

Christmas in November

Sunday, November 10th, 2013

My dearest brother,

This week was a pretty good one but the highlight of the week by far was going to the symphony on Friday. Mom and I got together and bought Jake an early Christmas present of tickets to see the Utah Symphony perform Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” at Abravanel Hall. We left our house around 6:00 with the intention of going to dinner before the symphony started at 8 but Red Robin (Jake’s restaurant of choice) was PACKED and we knew we would never be able to get seated and fed before we would be late to the symphony. So we got tide-me-over smoothies at Jamba Juice (Jake tried the Pink Starburst and I got my typical Tropical Harvest) and we set off downtown. We always park at Jake’s office and then walk where we need to go and Abravanel Hall is only about 2 blocks from his building. We got there pretty early and pegged an usher to try and get a picture but, alas, it was not meant to be. After 3 attempts with no success we gave up and moved on.

We were on the 3rd floor balcony so we couldn’t see much but you go to hear the symphony anyway. The “Four Seasons” was incredible and their guest violinist, Nicola Benedetti, was flawless. We both thoroughly enjoyed the performance especially all of the little intricacies throughout like the little birds you can hear chirping in spring or the rumbling of the thunder storms in summer.

After the “Four Seasons” there was a lengthy intermission followed by Carl Nielson’s “Four Temperaments.” It was interesting but not as moving as the “Four Seasons.” We did enjoy it still and had fun walking back to the car and talking about the performance.

We raced back to Red Robin before they closed and placed our order. Jake got the Bleu Ribbon burger (he loves bleu cheese) and I got the Blackened Chicken burger. They have gluten free buns at Red Robin so I was really excited. Dinner was delicious and we had the most wonderful evening. I think Jake thought it was a most excellent Christmas present.

That really was the highlight of the whole week. In fact, in the shadow of such a wonderful event I can think of very little that we did otherwise. Yesterday we met up with Matt & Alyssa at Murray park so that I could take their family pictures. I guess since mom is out of the country I get tasked with the taking of family pictures… I was super nervous about it. Alyssa took such wonderful pictures for us and I felt bad taking pictures for them when I know absolutely nothing about photography. But we got some good shots and I think they are happy with them so I feel relieved about that.

I received my official certificate from the American College of Sports Medicine. I will attach a picture of it for you. I felt really happy to have the certificate. It makes everything feel so much more real. I am working with 3 clients through my internship as well as continuing to work with Kayden. I have also been giving some help to my sister-in-law Beth through her pregnancy. My final project in my Designing Training Programs class is exercising through pregnancy. I am really excited to apply what I have been learning to my clients as well as in my own life when the time comes again.

Tomorrow we are spending time with dad (who has the day off for Veteran’s day). Savers is doing a 50% off sale and we want to take the kids to see Despicable Me 2. I think that it will be a pretty enjoyable day.

We are all doing well and we love you. We pray for you continually. Continue to move the work forward and we will keep you in our prayers!


Love always, Shayla

Handsome man + Smoothie

Crazy fun statue at Abravanel Hall

Blurry attempt #1. Eyes aren't actually closed..

Blurry attempt #2. Really. My eyes aren't closed!!!

Blurry attempt #3. Jake suggested I "look up more"... I guess it just wasn't meant to be!

Sideways stairs. These drove Jake crazy! We ended up walking up them straight and then zigzagging so we could keep going up straight. It was a fun game to play for 3 flights of stairs. 

View from the top!

Picture Jake took before I reminded him you aren't actually supposed to take pictures inside the hall.

Waiting for our food!

Tickets!

Very cryptic photo of dinner that was inhaled. We were so hungry!

Yes, Nathan must line up his clementine slices before eating them. The long peel was a result of my OCD tendencies. 

Oh the fun that can be had with an egg carton box.

Official. :)

1st attempt at awkward sibling photo.

Super cheesy 2nd attempt at sibling photo.

God's Canvas

No comments: