Sunday, July 14, 2013

Do What You Love

Sunday, July 14, 2013

My dearest brother,

I hope that you are doing well. I love your lengthened letters lately! It is so nice to hear some more details about your life and the progression of the work. I hope that you have been able to continue to find success and are keeping your bike away from cars.

This week was a hard one for sure but it was a valuable one as well. I spent a huge portion of the week studying. I spent time at the library, I stayed up past midnight, I formed study guides and combed through my notes and memorized memorized memorized! Thursday night rolled around and I was pretty exhausted and ensure about how much more I could possibly cram into my head. Right before I left for my test I asked Jake to give me a blessing. It was a lovely blessing about being able to find peace and be calm and to do well. I spent the drive to the campus softly singing hymns and praying and walked into my test calm and ready to tackle whatever got thrown at me.

The test was tricky. There were some questions that I wasn’t expecting at all but there were many others that I knew with confidence because of my devoted studying. I had no problems whatsoever with the 21 origins and insertions of the muscles and felt very confident with the landmark naming although he threw a few curveballs at us. I left the test feeling like there was no way that I could have done any better. The questions I was pretty sure I had missed were not ones that I would have known if I had studied longer and I felt like it went as well as it could possibly go.

Friday morning rolled around and I found a message in my Canvas inbox from my teacher. It said:

“Grades are posted on the the files page under 2200summertest#2.pdf. Good job on the test, your dedication to the class and material was appreciated.”

My heart started pounding very hard at this point and I was trembling like a leaf as I looked up my test score. He sorts the scores by our student number and as my eyes quickly scanned the document for my number my heart flew into my throat as I realized which number was my score…. 95.6%!!!!!!! My friend, Joli, and I tied for the highest score in the class. I could hardly believe it. I had worked so hard and I had wanted it so badly and I had pulled it off. And not only that, but my hard-to-please instructor who I wanted so badly to make a good impression on noticed my effort and took the time to recognize my work. I was floating on air all morning, so overwhelmed and so grateful that my hard work and sacrifice had paid off.

Honestly… that is the biggest portion of my entire week. I am not kidding when I said that I spent the whole week studying. And once it was over? I spent the whole weekend trying to recuperate. LOL! I spent a LOT of time with mom this weekend and it was lovely. I have hardly seen or talked to her for weeks while she has been out of town and so it was great to catch up and to go out to eat lunch.

Matt and Alyssa got their new puppy this weekend and I hope that she sends you pictures of little Korra because she is so adorable. We get to meet her tonight and although I am not a dog person I am sure that she will fill a special place in my heart with her softness and big puppy eyes.

Jake, Abrielle and Nathan, miraculously, survived the week while I have been so busy. They have been major troupers and I am so grateful for the support of so many loving family and friends who have helped me this week.

I took the week off from running this week. I was still hobbling a bit on Friday and might go on a short run on Tuesday this week but, otherwise, I will just get out there on FRIDAY next week and run the half marathon. Pray for me but, worst case scenario, I can walk 13.1 miles. J

I love you Jer, so much. Remember that God loves us and that he cares about our hopes and dreams. He is aware of us and he wants us to succeed. He will help us reach the moon if we trust in him and walk in his ways.

I love you, always and forever,

Shayla

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Good job on your test! You got an amazing score! ...and sounds like it is well deserved too :)