Sunday, June 24, 2012

25 by 25

This post is dedicated to my friend, Kristin Christenson. This idea is her original idea and I have "borrowed" it for my own use. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I hope that you are flattered Kristin!

Basically what the 25 by 25 is is a list of goals  to be accomplished in the next year. Since I just had my 24th birthday a week ago I have been thinking a lot about what I want this next year to be and I thought that this was a great way to go about it. So... without further ado and in no particular order... here we go!

1. Run a 5k in 30 minutes or less. Honestly, this freaks me out. I want to run a marathon one day and I know that if I work at it that someday I can get there, but the 5k feels like that first MAJOR step in putting myself out there. Right now I can run for 1.5 miles without my asthma kicking in. If I can just double that I will be doing well...
I will run a marathon one day.


2. Read 5 new books. With life being so busy my reading has really dropped off of the radar. I want to get back into it and I know that I can.


3. Bike 100 miles. We love to bike as a family and I think it brings us closer together. I only set the goal at 100 because biking in the winter is hard. I even have a cool ticker to help keep track!
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

4. Pass all of my classes with nothing less than an A-. Scary, hard, hopefully possible! :-)

5. Exercise every day (with the exception of 1 rest day a week). Exercise is so important to our overall well being, emotionally and mentally as well as physically. I am pretty good about this already but I can always be better.
i want this framed in my house.
6. Write in my journal at least twice a week. I love writing in my journal but sometimes things get really busy and I don't think about it. Hopefully now I will. 

7. Go on 3 hikes. Hopefully two of these will be knocked out in the next 3 months. Just gotta figure out when we're going to do the 3rd!

8. Make sure Abrielle gets a Mommy/Daughter or Daddy/Daughter date once a month. This is something we have started to do with Abrielle to help her connect with us and to help us to understand each other better. We will do the same for Nathan when he gets a little older.

9. Visit the temple with Jake at least 6 times. I don't want life to be too busy for the temple.
 

10. Make "the perfect" pie crust. I define this as one with the pretty edges that doesn't shrink into oblivion and doesn't have a bunch of holes throughout. Yeah... working on that.

11. Update this blog once a month. Once again with the "life gets busy" excuses...


12. Do a full-fledged family activity once a month. I define this as an afternoon in the park with a picnic and such, not just a hop in the bike trailer for a spin around the neighborhood.


13. Try something new. I don't know what or when or where yet, but I will try something new!


14. Watch the original seasons of Star Trek with Jake. BAHAHA! We are so nerdy, right? We watched all of the seasons (and movies) of Star Trek: The Next Generation together and had a wonderful time. I want to continue on with those memories.


15. See four musical or theater productions. Shouldn't be too hard since my brother is a Junior at Bingham High and in the drama club presidency.


16. Go skating with Jake 3 times. He is incredibly talented on old-school roller-skates. No I am not kidding. He loves doing it and we should go more often than we do, but it is hard to do for date night because the rink isn't really close. But we'll do it!


17. Read the entire Book of Mormon again. I need to focus better on my reading and since I just got called to be the Gospel Doctrine teacher I REALLY need to focus better on my reading.


18. Make 1 dish every month without a recipe. I want to expand my creative juices and be more adventurous. 


19. Make something for my home. I'm not really good with decorating and being crafty all the time. This will give me an opportunity to "expand my creative juices" again. 


20. Alter my sleeping habits. I have always been a night owl as my parents before me; however, I married an "early to bed, early to rise" man and our differences in sleeping have always been rough. I know that to be as healthy and functional as possible I need 8 hours of sleep and I feel better if I rise early. We have already started this and will continue to work on it.


21. Go on two family vacations with the kids.

22. Go on two vacations without the kids.

23. Do my visiting teaching at least 6 times. I am really bad at this. Even 1/2 of the time would be a major improvement!


24. Help out a friend in a major way.

25. Write to my missionary brother at least three times a month.

So there you have it! This post took me an entire week to write as I pondered and wrote and pondered some more and came back to it. I hope to be able to implement these goals into my life and I know that they will improve my quality of life. I will update this list periodically so you can see how I am doing.

Much love to all!

Shayla

2 comments:

Ashley Cook said...

You're the new Gospel Doctrine Teacher?!?! WOW! That's awesome! That's definitely something that would scare the living daylights out of me. :)

Dan and Kristin said...

I borrowed the idea from someone else because I thought it was a good idea too :) Looks like you'll have a fun, busy year!