Friday, May 25, 2012

Small Novel

Wow. Neglected much? Yeah... sorry about that. Life has been busy and moving forward and I honestly haven't had much time or desire to write. My babies decided to crash today at the same time so I am not running around the house after a highly energetic 10 1/2 month old baby boy or getting the 3 1/2 year old little girl something to eat for the millionth time. So here I sit ready to update you on what has been going on in the Bentley household in the last month.

We got to participate with the Bakker family in the Walk for MS on April 28th:

Oh! Did I mention that I died my hair red? Yes, yes I did. And I love it.

There were SOOO many people at the walk but the event was very well organized. They gave us sacks of food for breakfast and even closed streets so that we could walk without having to wait for a bunch of traffic lights. It was a little bit nippy, but it wasn't bad and we really enjoyed ourselves.

After the walk we jumped on our bikes and put the kids in the bike trailer and went swimming at the Olympic Oval. We have done a lot of biking lately:

We couldn't get Abrielle to stop playing in the park long enough to come join us for the picture.

Love that baby boy!

They were REALLY worn out after the long day of walking and swimming!

We live close to the Jordan River Parkway and spend time down there biking as well. This was the first time we took the kids:

She wanted to go swimming with the ducks

3 1/2.... where did the time go?

This is a pretty good representation of how close they were getting to us. A lot of them ate right out of our hands. Spring = TONS of baby ducks!

This is my favorite Nathan face - WOW! He pulls this face all the time!

We took updated family pictures with my family:

My Grandpa and Grandma Dunford with our nieces, Serenthia and Zakiya, and our children, Nathan and Abrielle.

My family! (Minus Elder Jeremy Troff who is Finland) 

Left to right: Serenthia Murray held by Matt Murray, Alyssa Troff Murray holding Zakiya Murray, Brynndi Troff, Zac Troff (purple shirt), Dad Daniel Troff, Mom Kim Troff holding Abrielle Bentley, Jake Bentley (yellow shirt), Me holding Nathan Bentley, and Kayden Troff

The photographer caught us trying to convince the babies to smile for the picture above. As you can see in Abrielle's case... it didn't work out so well. :)

We celebrated my brother Kayden's 14th birthday and my mom's birthday. Lots of yummy food and good times. We celebrated Mother's day and I spent the entire day baking food and doing various things for other people but it was a good day, nonetheless. 

We saw The Avengers and absolutely loved it. We want to go again.

We took Abrielle to the doctor to talk about some behavioral issues. The doctor believes she has some OCD tendencies - she feels a NEED to be in control. We give her lots of choices now even down to what she wears and what she wants to eat and things have really improved. She finished up the preschool term yesterday and is now out for the summer although we started her in swim lessons this past Monday to help ease the transition. She is still afraid of getting her face in the water but she is definitely improving. I am hoping several sessions will cure her fear and give her more confidence in the water.

Nathan is getting his 7th tooth in right now. He weighs over 21 pounds and is tall enough that he is outgrowing all of his 12 month sized clothes. This boy is very solidly built. He is still the happiest baby in the universe and despite the fact that he loves to get into everything he can we still love having him around immensely.

I have decided to go back to school. At this point I am actually all applied, registered, and ready to go. I have even finished the Financial aid applications for both myself and Jake. We are both registered for Fall 2012 semester. Jake will be at the University of Utah and he will be taking 6 credit hours. He is pretty burnt out by this point and so we have decided to take Fall slower and then evaluate for Spring. He will absolutely be taking the Summer off from now on. (After this summer....) He will be taking Financial Management I and Diversity & Health. I will be working on a Fitness Technician certification and I am also hoping to finish up my Associates in Chemistry. This Fall I will be taking 11 credit hours at SLCC. I will be taking First Aid and Body Strength & Tone at the campus and then Human Biology, Foundations of Nutrition and Lifetime Fitness online. It will be busy but I am excited!

Jake is still the Ward Mission Leader and I am still the 2nd counselor in the Young Women presidency. There isn't really anything new to report about that. :-) We just keep on keeping on!

This past Saturday we had the opportunity to participate in the Great Strides walk in support of Cystic Fibrosis research with the Shaw Family:

The theme was western this year, thus the hat and bandanas. Love my little family!

Cowboys

Cowgirls

This event was much smaller than the Walk for MS. The streets weren't closed for us but it was nice that things weren't so crowded. Texas Roadhouse and Famous Dave's provided food after the walk. I wished that they had more healthy options but the apple that I had was delicious. :-) I also had part of a barbecue pork sandwich that was pretty good. Jake said the ribs were tasty but not as good as my mom's. Good son-in-law brownie points there! I would be happy to do this walk every year and we definitely plan to!

I think that that is about it for now.... there are major events coming up really soon for us. Two of Jake's sisters are getting married the same weekend in June so we will have a lot to say about that, plus my birthday is in June and Jake and I will get to get away for a night - HURRAY!!!! We have a family vacation in July and our 5 year anniversary is in October. Wow. I am really excited. 

We hope that everyone is doing well and that life is treating you kindly. We love you all and we hope to hear from you or see you if we can. Despite life being busy, we always have time for friends!

Much love, Shayla




2 comments:

Jonessa said...

I took a Socail Health and Diversity class too. So much fun! I still have the book if you need it: Reading for Diversity and Social Justice. 2nd ed. By LOTS of people.
Also, maybe sometime you could help Derek and I with his financial aid. He fills it out, but then we never hear from them. Thanks and good luck!!

Shayla Bentley said...

Awesome! If that is the book he needs we will definitely let you know. The financial aid is a huge headache. There is a lot of follow-up that you have to take care of and SLCC doesn't let you know via e-mail a lot of the time. Check on his MyPage under Financial Aid and it should tell you what information they are waiting for before approving the aid.