Our 24th of July was a wonderful day. We got up bright and early to participate in the 5k my parent's ward was doing. I really wanted to just walk it with my mom but she is on the activities committee and needed to get things going for the breakfast we had afterwards. So after much contemplation and debate, I rollerbladed it with my husband.
Now, if you have kept up with my status updates on facebook you should know that rollerblading is not something I am unfamiliar with. My husband is a very good rollerskater and we bought some rollerblades for me so that we could go together. And we enjoy it. But last time we went I fell. Big time. I still have the marks on my knees to prove it. Although they are all healed now with fresh new skin, it will be awhile yet before I will no longer have the battle marks. I haven't been in my rollerblades since that happened.
When I explained my fear to my husband he said, "Well then you should definitely rollerblade the 5k." Puzzled, I asked him what he meant. He said, "If you are building a roof and fall off the house you are supposed to wipe yourself off and get right back up; Otherwise, you'll never get up again." I thought that that made sense and was quite wise. How are you supposed to argue with that? So I swallowed my fear and be rollerbladed/skated the 5k.
It isn't as easy as it sounds. So much of the 5k was uphill and on blades, pushing a stroller, on non-smooth gravel roads.... but our whole family made it in just over 33 minutes so I feel satisfied.
We enjoyed breakfast with my parent's ward and then headed on home to clean up. We spent the rest of the morning and afternoon being wonderfully lazy. We watch Avatar : The Last Airbender cartoons and played games together. It was delightful.
To finish off the day we went back to my parent's house to have dinner. My dad and I share a deep love for seafood and he bought some sushi along with all the stuff for the barbecue. Most of my family enjoyed some wonderful hamburgers and hot dogs. I filled up on sushi and barbecued pineapple. YUM!
After dinner we tried out my mom's new ice cream maker. It is a new one from Cuisinart that doesn't require ice or salt. Unfortunately, we added the raspberries too early and it couldn't properly mix. So we had raspberry smoothies instead.
At this time of year that we celebrate our pioneer ancestry I find myself focusing more on the family I have now who are who they are because of our ancestry. I am so very grateful to brave and determined pioneer ancestors like William Clayton ("Come, Come Ye Saints") who gave us the opportunity to live, and love, in this wonderful place.
I sincerely hope everyone had a wonderful 24th of July, whether it was a holiday for you or not!
Love, Shayla
No comments:
Post a Comment