Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Mouse of Laurel Ridge

Okay, I know that I said that my next post would be the results of my ultrasound, but I am sitting at work with nothing else to do and thought this story was too worthy of posting for me to just pass up the opportunity!

I work at West Jordan High school until 2:00 in the afternoon, and since I usually don't start teaching piano lessons until 3:30 I like to stop by my parent's house and visit with my mom and siblings. (And have some homemade wheat bread with homemade jam that is always readily available.)

Yesterday when I stopped by I made a comment to my mom that their cat Sapphire seemed more skittish than normal. She is usually very loving and readily accepts attention, but every movement I made yesterday sent her running down the stairs. But instead of running to hide or refusing to come back upstairs again if she was scared, she kept coming back quite frequently, trying to get my attention. She sleeps in my sister Alyssa's room and kept walking over to the door and looking at me and so I finally clued in and let her in.

I didn't think anything about it because she likes to be in "her room" all the time. She even knows how to shut the door so that she can have the room all to herself and my baby sister Brynndi can't get in. I went on talking to my mom and then my wonderful friend Ashley called me.

For any of you who have seen me when I talk on the phone you know that I cannot help but pace around. Sitting still while on the phone is almost impossible for me, so I was walking back and forth in the kitchen while talking to Ashley. While pacing, I passed by the stairs to the downstairs level where my sister Alyssa's room is and I saw Sapphire carrying a MOUSE in her mouth. I immediately told my mom that the cat had caught a mouse and at that same moment Alyssa walked in from school. I turned to her and said, "Your cat caught a mouse." My mom finished the thought with, "And she just took it in your room so... have fun!"

My brother Zachary came down the stairs at that point because the mouse had been in their room (my three brothers share a room) and they were hoping that the cat would catch it. He and Alyssa went into her room to see the status of this mouse - AKA, if it was in pieces or bleeding or whatnot. My mom and I were still visiting in the kitchen when we heard SCREAMS coming from my sister's room. The mouse was not only NOT in pieces or bleeding, it wasn't DEAD yet! And it was hopping around my sisters room, in and out of her clothes and shoes.

She was standing on her bed screaming at Zachary to catch it and Zachary was running around the room with a tupperware container and a plate trying to catch the mouse and flinging clothes around at the same time. My mom was on the couch in the living room watching the whole episode and I was standing on the stairs. (Both a good distance AWAY from any jumping mouse!)

It wasn't long before Alyssa, Zac, and Sapphire (the cat) lost track of the mouse and started a thorough search of the closet where they saw it last. Between my sister and I, HALF of my sister's closet is filled with dance dresses - LONG dresses that my sister was worried the mouse had climbed up. Zac pulled the dresses out one by one, shook them out, and threw them on the bed, all the time holding a flashlight to search the corners of the closet. The mouse was nowhere to be found.

After a short while the excitement died down and the cat lost interest in the search and the house was no longer filled with the screams of paranoid women. (I am totally innocent. :0)) Zac continued his search and things started to relax. I even walked into my sister's room and was sitting on the upturned end of an empty box of cat litter.

Zac had most of the things pulled out of the closet and grabbed onto a lid of a laundry basket that was sitting against the wall. Well, you guessed it. Guess where the mouse was hiding? Zac yells out, "Oh my goodness!" And Alyssa darts back to the standing position on her bed (amidst screaming) while I dart out of the room (amidst screaming). My mom is laughing hysterically at the whole scene as Alyssa is screaming directions at Zac and Zac is running around the room trying to catch the mouse. He finally cornered it and was set to take it into the greenbelt "as far away from the house as possible."

Hopefully the mouse is okay - Zac said it wasn't moving a whole lot - but we suspect that he probably hit it on the head and stunned it pretty badly. It's nice to know that things won't ever be boring at the Troff house! And I hope that anyone reading this story got a good laugh out of it - I know that we sure did as it was happening!

Love from the Bentley Family

No comments: