Friday, December 19, 2014

Christmas Celebrations

I know it has been quite a while since I have posted anything and this space has laid quiet and lonely. If it makes you feel better... journal is languishing in the same manner. We have been busy this month with lots of fun and wonderful things! When I was growing up my parents always did a lot of fun family activities with us and I feel like it really bonded our family together. I want that same experience for my children. Sorry for the less-than-stellar cellphone pics. It is just too easy to keep them on hand!

DECEMBER 1ST - TEMPLE SQUARE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

We hit this one PERFECTLY this year. We went early enough in the season that it wasn't too crowded and this unusually warm winter made it bearable to be outside - even for the baby who was snuggled up in many layers in my wrap. The kids' favorite part was the Christus statue and Abrielle wanted so badly to go back. In subsequent days Abrielle and Nathan both talked about "seeing and hearing Jesus" and asked to go back again. We got hot chocolate and dinner and had a wonderful night together.















DECEMBER 4TH = FESTIVAL OF TREES

I used to go to the festival every year to perform - dance when I was really little and piano when I got a little older. It is a fond part of my Christmas memories. Sadly, the only pictures I have of this event are of things around the venue that we wanted to remember such as quotes. Nothing of the kids. I had Valerie wrapped up with me and Jake was pushing Nathan in a frustrating stroller while my dad had Abrielle. There were some really awesome trees... but as usual things got fairly repetitive after we got halfway through. Once the baby started fussing we packed up and headed out.

DECEMBER 5TH = MURDER MYSTERY PIRATE PARTY

Some of our friends from our ward invited us to participate in a murder mystery dinner at their house. I have never been to such a party before although I think I might have done something similar when I was in high school. The theme was PIRATE and, thankfully, we found some friends who had costumes available for us. I am not one to dress up or pretend much but we tried to let loose and just have fun. Jake won't admit it if you ask but I even put eyeliner on him. Neither of our characters were the murderer. You're safe with us!


DECEMBER 6TH = WARD CHRISTMAS PARTY

DECEMBER 7TH = BLESSING OF OUR COUSIN'S BABY (ASHTYN) AND THE ROWLEY FAMILY CHRISTMAS PARTY

At the Rowley party they had the little kids act out the Nativity. Our cousin has a daughter who is 3 months older than Abrielle so she got to be Mary but Abrielle got to be the angel. I wrote down her part on my phone and had her read it off when it came to be her turn. She had the, "Fear not; for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy..." part. She did AWESOME! I wish so much I had a picture... Hopefully we will get one from someone else. Nathan was Joseph. It was a great party and we had a lot of fun.

DECEMBER 8TH = MUSEUM OF NATURAL CURIOSITY AND TREE OF LIFE

Okay so the museum has nothing to do with Christmas... but it was very fun family outing nonetheless. We got pizza and berry smoothies from Costco, played at the museum for a few hours, and then drove by the Tree of Life in Draper on the way home. We want to take the kids back to see the Tree and actually get out of the car. We watched the story of Lehi's Dream on Book of Mormon Stories right before we got there and they were SOOO excited. They were asking all kinds of questions about if the tree had fruit. Nathan said, "Can we taste it?!" I just love that they are "getting it." 

After the tree we met up with my family at a new favorite smoothie place called The Orange Peel by Scheels. Nathan ordered an avocado smoothie. Yes, avocado. He doesn't really care about the flavor as much as the color - it MUST be green. Ironically, however, his smoothie was the top hit with the best flavor. Definitely one that needs to be repeated!




DECEMBER 10TH = HERMANA VICKIE BENTLEY LEFT FOR THE MTC

Only Jake was able to go to her setting apart because I had to teach piano lessons but he said it was great. He gave her some last advice from us and then... she was off. I am trying not to think too much about it... or how much I am going to miss her. She always did SOOO much for our family and it will just not be the same without her around. If you would like to check in with how she is doing you can visit the blog I set up for her at: http://hermanavickiebentley.blogspot.com.

DECEMBER 11TH = MOTAB CHRISTMAS CONCERT WITH THE MUPPETS

We met up with our cousin Tonya and Kyle's family and had pre-event pizza before Jake and Abrielle and Kyle and his daughter, Maelie, set off for the concert downtown. They lowered the acceptable age this year to 5 because of the Muppets so both girls were able to attend. They had a great time although Jake said they lost a bit of interest after the first 3 songs. While they were gone Tonya and her son, Cason, and Nathan and me watched The Lego Movie. Tonya and I visited until we finally went home at 10 pm... 

DECEMBER 12TH = CHRISTMAS NIGHT AT HOME

My little sister Brynndi joined us as we wrapped presents, made snowflakes out of paper to hang from Abrielle's ceiling, drank hot chocolate while listening to Christmas music, watched Christmas movies, and watched He is the Gift and The Nativity on lds.org. It was absolutely the most PERFECT Christmas night with my little family!



DECEMBER 13TH = ZION'S BANK COMPANY CHRISTMAS PARTY

My dad has worked for the bank for over 25 years and I have many years of memories of going to this party. They always rent out a few theaters at Jordan Commons and hand out little gift bags. This year the movie was How to Train Your Dragon 2. Valerie did awesome during the movie. She slept for most of the time, woke up for about 15 minutes and was totally fascinated by the big screen, and then ate for the rest of the time. After the movie we went with my parents to lunch at My Thai - definitely the most delicious Thai restaurant in the valley.

We also discovered that... somewhere along the line... we got rid of our Christmas tree. We were able to purchase a new one for a mere $10 and got it all put together and set up. Valerie loves the lights.


DECEMBER 14TH = JOHNSON FAMILY CHRISTMAS PARTY

My Grandma Patricia Johnson died when I was just 8 years old but we have attended the Johnson Family party every year. It was held at my Grandparent's house this year. It is basically just a dinner and visiting but we have an enjoyable time catching up with family members we rarely see.

DECEMBER 16TH - JAKE'S WORK PARTY

Again, epic picture fail on our part. We don't have a single picture from this event and it makes me so very sad. We were able to leave Valerie with my mom for the day while we took the older two kids to Gorgaza Park by Park City for 2 hours of TUBING. I don't think either of the kids have ever been sledding since mommy doesn't like it and they were THRILLED about this activity. Nathan isn't tall enough to go on the bigger hills yet so he and I went down the little hills about 20 times. Miss Not-Afraid-of-Fun Abrielle went down the big hills with her daddy over and over again. At the end she was insisting on going down the hills all by herself. It was such a fun activity and the absolute PERFECT weather - not too cold or windy.

AFter our two hours were up (much to Abrielle's dismay) we went over to Billy Blanks Mexican restaurant for food. Jake's company booked out the whole restaurant and they served the food buffet style. Steak quesadillas, potato and cheese tortas, chili lime chicken wings, dry rub ribs,.... deliciousness. Plus they had hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows for everyone. I am pretty sure Abrielle and Nathan ate more marshmallows then anything else. We really had so much fun and we wish we could go tubing more often. Now if only the tickets weren't $23 per person for 2 hours.... yikes!

DECEMBER 18TH = WARD HOLIDAY CARD DISTRIBUTION

Our ward has a tradition where everyone delivers their Christmas cards for members of the ward to the ward itself and then they are distributed. This saves everyone postage and is extremely convenient. A few members of the ward gathered last night to distribute the cards and then for hot chocolate and doughnuts afterwards. If you sent us a Christmas card... THANK YOU!

STILL TO COME:

  • December 19th - Ward Christmas Party with my parent's ward
  • December 20th - Surprise party for a family member in Provo
  • December 22nd - Bentley Family Christmas Party
  • December 24th - CHRISTMAS EVE Celebrations with Troff family
  • December 25th - CHRISTMAS!!!!
What a wonderful season we are having and we hope you are doing so as well. We wish the best to everyone at this Christmas season and all year long.

Love, Shayla



No comments: