Sunday, October 13, 2013

Mr. and Mrs. Bentley

October 13th, 2013

Our Dearest Brother,

This is Jake again. Shayla has been rather sick for the last week and didn’t feel like she had a whole lot to update you on so I get to be creative!

This week we celebrated Serry’s fourth birthday and she had a nice little party on Friday that Abrielle went to. They got to dress up in their Halloween costumes early. It was pretty great.

This evening we had a family party at the Dunford’s and Shayla made a cake with a lot of orange color in it but I threw everyone a curve ball because I was the one getting the groceries this week and I decided to get peach flavored sherbet instead of orange. Still got eaten up pretty quickly, though, so I don’t think that it was a big mistake.

Shayla got Abrielle some learning-to-read books and she is doing pretty well at sounding stuff out. I think she is pretty pleased with her progress – I know that I am. Tonight at Serry’s party she got the same books but they are 4x bigger so I hope Abrielle didn’t get jealous.

Matt’s got me thinking about the possibility of us getting 2DS’ so that we can play the new Pokemon with Zac and Kayden. I probably won’t get one (I’ll probably just play it on my phone) but I don’t know when I will have time for that.

Nathan is talking more and more. Tonight Shayla was reading scriptures and having the kids repeat her and it struck me how well Nathan was enunciating everything he was asked to say.

Starting to get cold and rainy here. All of the leaves are starting to fall off of the trees. I am sure that is how it was for you about a month ago.

I always appreciate Shayla more when she gets sick like this. This past week I have done about 4 loads of laundry and 5 or 6 loads of dishes. Those are things that I scarcely notice when she is well and getting it all done without me.

I’m trying to avoid candy since Shayla is so sick and it is easy to get sick as well but it is difficult because there are a lot of good candies out now. Two or three Christmas’ ago I was given 2 big bags of Skittles – the first one was gone pretty fast but the 2nd one is tempting me day by day. But I am fighting the good fight! I hope that you are in good health.

Oh! By the way, the missionaries are doing really well around here. We have had 2 baptisms in a little over a week and since last week was general conference both of them were confirmed in church today. I’m always a little surprised about how much missionary work is available to do right here in the Salt Lake Valley.

We all love you and hope that you are finding joy in your work.

Love, Jake and Shayla

P.S. Hello brother. This is Shayla. I just wanted to give you some brief details on my situation so you didn’t worry too much. Yes, I have been sick. The cold that I contracted on Friday, October 4th, has turned into acute bronchitis in my lungs. So far I think that that is as far as it has gone. I don’t know if I will be getting well soon or not. I hope so. If it persists through this week I will go to the doctor to obtain some antibiotics. Unfortunately, this early in the game the infection is still viral and there is nothing that can be done but rest and drink fluids. I am slightly worried about the possibility of pneumonia but I have faith that, whatever happens, the Lord will continue to sustain me and help me to do what I need to do day by day. Jake has been a wonderful support to me and our family has been wonderful as well. I am surrounded by love and care and I am very grateful for that blessing.


My ACSM Certified Personal Trainer exam is on Thursday. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers!

Like Father, Like Son! He had to have a phone in his pocket and everything. 

Silly boy found a tiny pair of glasses and was carrying around a doctor case.

The invitations I created for Serenthia's birthday party. I really love how they turned out.

No comments: