Sunday, June 30th, 2013
My dearest brother,
In less than one week my baby will be
two years old. Can you believe it? Nathan turns 2 this Friday. As I
reflect back on the two years that he has been part of our families I
can remember a few hard nights when he wasn't sleeping well and a few
messes that he made, but mostly I just remember all of the smiles,
laughter, and joy. What a delight this little boy is in our lives!
When I am feeling down I can count on my Nathan to give me hugs and
kisses and to snuggle me until I feel better. I have discovered a joy
and patience in life that I didn't know or understand before. He
truly lives up to the meaning of his name, “God Has Given.”
Nathan has been a tremendous gift to us from God in our lives and I
count myself so fortunate to be his mother.
We don't have many plans for his
birthday yet. I wanted to celebrate with everyone today since Mom and
Kayden will be gone again next week but Jaden's birthday party is
today so we are headed off to Clearfield this evening. I was asked to
bring homemade rolls and it was quite the ordeal. Since I can't eat
gluten it has been a long time since I have made rolls and it felt
like I was learning all over again. I hope that they will still turn
out delicious.
We took the kids to lunch at Jason's
Deli yesterday and to see the new Pixar movie, “Monster's
University.” At lunch we gave the kids a part of an egg yolk to try
while they were waiting for their food. Nathan quickly decided that
he didn't like it and started gagging. He spewed out the yolk which
hit my plate but he didn't stop there. He decided he despised it so
greatly that he continued to gag until he threw up all over the
table... right in the middle... right as our food was arriving. I
tried to reassure the waitress that he wasn't sick and he had just
choked but she gave me a look that said she knew I was insane.
Shortly thereafter Abrielle announced to the restaurant that the
peppers in my salad looked like worms. It is a miracle that after two
such events that I had any appetite at all!
The movie was really cute although
getting Nathan to sit still was quite the ordeal. It is definitely a
movie that I would like to add to our collection when it comes out.
Abrielle seemed to really enjoy it and laughed out loud a few times.
We ended our eventful day by going to a
Ward party. It was a lot of fun to visit with our neighbors and to
have some good food. There is a lady in our ward that makes the most
amazing chili. It has added sugar in it so I shouldn't
eat it... but I decided to sacrifice. I think that I am suffering for
it today because I am SOOOO tired but it was REALLY good chili. They
had a bounce house set up and a mister spraying because the
temperature reached 105 yesterday. Nathan took full advantage of the
“shower” and got soaked from head to foot!
I
obtained a miracle in my life yesterday – two of my friends that
will be running the half marathon with me came to my house at 5:30 am
so that we could go running together. We went 10 miles! Can you
believe it? That is 4 miles further than I have ever run before in my
life. It gave me so much more confidence about this half marathon in
3 weeks. If I can run 10 miles without dying then surely I can run
13.
I need
to talk to my cardio instructor about my heart rate though. My “long
endurance” heart rate zone is supposed to be 138 to 147. My lactate
threshold is supposed to be 174. That means that I should be able to
go all day at a heart rate of 138 to 147 but at 174 I will run out of
energy VERY quickly. Well I had my new heart rate monitor on during
our run yesterday and I was consistently in the mid-170s. I would
think that if that were truly my lactate threshold that I should not
be able to run for 10 miles at 174. Yeah... I think that something is
off there. But maybe I am just misunderstanding the concept.
School
continues to go well. We have school off this Thursday because of the
4th
of July so it is a shorter week. Just Monday – Wednesday. That
means there are only 21 days left of school or 5 ½ weeks total. Wow.
My
best girlfriend, Ashley Cook, had her 2nd
baby this week – a darling little boy named Jaxon. He is healthy
and strong and both he and Ashley are doing well. We got to visit
them in the hospital and it was a really neat experience.
I
think that that is about all I have for this week. I love you and I
loved getting your longer letter last week. I am so glad that things
are going well for you.
All my
love, Always and Forever,
Shayla
P.S. 6
months and 3 days to DISNEYLAND!!!!!!
Showering in the mister

No comments:
Post a Comment