Thursday, December 8, 2011

I have been missing in action lately and I apologize. I just haven't felt much like blogging. Jake is trudging his way through finals and with all of the preparations going on for Christmas blogging has really been the last thing on my mind.

I won't spend a lot of time updating but I just wanted to briefly catch everyone up.

We had a fantastic Thanksgiving. The turkeys I made turned out deliciously and so did the homemade cranberry sauce. We had more good food than most people consume in a year, let alone a day. My mom also really went all out with artichoke parmesan stuffing and the best coconut sweet potatoes in the world. We had all of the typical Thanksgiving dishes in full glory style. YUMMY!

I actually joined the insanity of Black Friday shopping this year. My mom and grandma were limping due to recent surgeries and my sister was 5 days away from having her baby so I felt like I needed to go to provide a sense of stability. We really had a great time. We got some great deals and enjoyed McDonald's yogurt parfaits at 3:30 in the morning. I didn't care so much about "finding a great deal" as just enjoying the experience with 3 women I love so much.

I took Abrielle to see the Christmas lights downtown with our YM/YW group on Tuesday. I will post a few pictures about it later but she loved seeing the lights and it was a lot more fun to be there with her and experience the lights through the eyes of a child.

Like I said, Jake is finishing up another semester. He has a final tonight and one on Monday and then he is DONE.... until January. But starting December 23rd he has ELEVEN DAYS off of work! ELEVEN!!!! I am more excited for his work vacation and our chance to spend so much time together than I am about Christmas. Things have been so busy lately I really miss just spending time with my best friend.

I am doing my best to keep on top of piano as there are inevitably a lot of conflicts with lessons around this time of year. I have had to do some juggling and rearranging but hopefully that is mostly finished now. I have almost all of our Christmas gifts wrapped and I am very excited for Christmas to arrive in 9 days! (We are celebrating on the 17th because my brother is leaving on his mission on the 21st.)

My sister had her baby on November 30th. Beautiful Zakiya Mae Murray entered this world weighing in at 7 lbs. 3 oz. and 20 inches long. I am so happy to be an aunt for the fourth time!


Abrielle and Nathan are doing well. Nathan is cutting teeth but is still the happiest baby you will ever meet. Abrielle is growing and maturing slowly.... somedays I wonder if she will ever get away from the terrible twos. My mom assures me that I will enjoy being around her for the majority of the time again someday. Right now she gives me many tests in endurance and patience and I am doing my best to stay positive. I do love her very much and we have many wonderful moments of joy and happiness, but don't be fooled about the terrible twos. There is a reason they are called terrible!

With Christmas coming, a missionary leaving and our vacation to Arizona right around the corner I will have a lot to talk about very soon. For now, I will leave you with a simple Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! May the love of the season and the love of others fill your heart with joy and happiness at this time of year and always.

Love, Shayla

2 comments:

Amy Jeans said...

Sounds like you have a ton going on. It is always good to hear from your blog though!!! So don't be a bum like me :-D
Happy Christmas!

Anonymous said...

We are so excited to see you in just over 2 weeks! And, as far as terrible twos go, I completely understand! Breena has been 3 for 2 months now and I swear she's still not getting better, some days even worse! I've heard from a couple of people that 3 is worse than 2... But I know this is just a small part of the picture, right??