Jake and I just got back from my first doctor's appointment. Originally I was going to have to go alone because Jake works until 2:30 each day, but his team leader was kind enough to let him go early today and work longer tomorrow.
Anyway, after filling out the paperwork and paying our $20 copay for the doctor's visit it was time to wait. Don't you just love waiting in the doctor's office and anticipating everything that is going to be done to you?
We didn't have to wait too long before the nurse brought us back, weighed me in, and gave us the run down on what was going to happen. I think it is HIGHLY convenient that all of the wonderful women I have conversed with about my first appointment being today just HAPPENED to forget to mention to me all of the fun things they do! AKA: Pap smear, urine test, blood work.
The first thing we got to do was to see the baby's heartbeat! The ultrasound jelly was REALLY cold but it was awesome to see the little flicker of the heart. AND it was very refreshing to know for sure that there is only ONE baby inside of me instead of TWO! Seeing the heartbeat makes the whole process seem so much more real.
The blood work was probably the most entertaining of the whole visit. I am terrified of needles, but I am just fine as long as I don't watch. Jake was right there with me, watching the whole thing, and started to get really light-headed. He got sick to his stomach and had to sit with his head down and get a drink. I was laughing pretty hard. The nurses were also laughing along with me as Jake is saying, "I feel like such a wuss!"
Overall, the doctor said that it was a very good first visit and that things look great. They gave us a big bag of goodies: 5 baby magazines, 5 different prenatal medications to try, a travel bag with some baby formula in it, a book on pregnancy, coupons for blessing dresses, and a $50 gift certificate to a photography studio for the babies first pictures. The doctor (Doctor Smith) was really kind and made both of us feel much more at ease. I have to meet with him every four weeks and then when I get to 30 weeks along it will be every 2 weeks. The last month I get to go in every single week. All together these appointments should add up to more times visiting the doctor in 7 months than I ever have in my whole life so far.
I am so grateful that everything is going well and Jake and I are very excited to be new parents!
5 comments:
YAY!! Oh Shayla that sounds like the doctor's and everyone were so supportive! I'm glad that it went well for you very first appointment!
Oh I am so excited for you both...Congrats, congrats, congrats!
Shayla I'm so happy for you. You are going to be such a good mom.
Well, I think I'm an even bigger baby than you when it comes to needles...not quite as bad as Jake though..LoL! Kyle thought it was cool and was teasing me about being so afraid, but I WILL NOT let them touch me with a needle again unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary! I hate those things...and as far as that other stuff goes...all I can say is what 'fun'! :) That's exciting though, I'm happy for you guys! We still need to get together some time...I'll have to call or text sometime soon. :) love ya!
Congratulations Shayla! That is so exciting. So this makes you the first married, first pregnant access '06 woman, no?
I believe somebody out there owes me some money...
Post a Comment