Monday, February 20, 2012

Month of Love

We got to celebrate Valentine’s day this last week and I got Jake a bunch of small gifts that I gave to him once a day for 10 days leading up to Valentine’s day. On the day itself Alyssa (my sister) and I took the kids to join Matt and Jake for lunch downtown. When I got home to teach piano a box arrived on the doorstep full of two dozen freshly cut roses. They are orange and pink and white and absolutely beautiful. Jake had them include a special note inside as well. I felt pretty special. We ended the evening with dinner at Chick-fil-A with Matt and Alyssa while the girls (Abrielle and our niece Serenthia) played in the play area.

I spent a few hours at the Social Security office this week trying to get Nathan’s social security number. I lost his first card and had to get the replacement so that we could file our taxes. It turned out to be worth it though because we will be getting back a nice amount from our federal tax return. We have decided to have some fun with the money and I was able to get some new clothes since a lot of my older clothes don’t fit any longer since I have lost a lot of weight. I have had a lot of fun shopping with my mom and we tend to like the same things… I think we probably have 5 of the same shirt now!

My dad also decided that his Valentine’s day gift to my mom was the super cool blender from Costco. It is the Blendtec Total blender and they just lowered the price from $400 to $350. It is THE blender of blenders! It can even cook soup! My mom was really excited about her new toy and convinced me that I had to have one also since I drink a lot of healthy smoothies now and am moving further and further away from processed foods. Fresh is best! My favorite smoothie is acai juice, banana, unsweetened apple sauce, vanilla whey protein powder and spinach. Since we have the tax return money coming it was possible for me to get it now. We have been having a lot of fun with the blenders and we made fresh spaghetti sauce made from real tomatoes for Abrielle’s birthday dinner last night. Not to mention 6 or 7 different kinds of smoothies.

Abrielle’s birthday is on Thursday. Can you believe that she will be three? Since my mom and brother Kayden are off to another tournament tomorrow they won’t be around for her birthday but we did most of our celebrating this last weekend. On Saturday we took her downtown to ride the train in the Free Fare zone and then we met the family at Chinese Gourmet. They have little octopus available now and I thought they were pretty tasty but Kayden tried one on a dare from Zac (another brother) and just about threw up his entire dinner. LOL! So funny!

Nathan continues to become more and more mobile and likes to get into anything he can get his hands on. He is going to be trouble when he can actually crawl and/or walk! He is still the happiest baby in the world and a delight.

Jake is still plugging through work and school. I can’t say that he particularly enjoys it but he knows he has to do it and he is making the best of it. We just finished his application to the University of Utah that he will be attending after he finishes at SLCC this summer.

Happy President's Day to everyone! Hopefully you got to do what we got to do today... lay around and be lazy!!! HURRAY!

Love, Shayla

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Congrats on losing weight! It is so hard with the kids I don't know how you have the time. How much have you lost? I can't believe are girls are going to be 3! The time has gone so fast.

Shayla Bentley said...

Thank you so much Tiffany! Sometimes you have to get creative with the kids around but Abrielle is pretty good about either working out with me or watching a movie while I am working out in the same room. Nathan loves to roll around on the floor and play with toys but he will also work out with me. :-) I have lost almost 30 lbs since my six week appointment after having Nathan. I can hardly believe that it has been 3 years since the girls were born. It really has gone by super fast! What fun things are you doing for Megan's birthday?